Why become a member? ×

Warmoth '54 Single Coil Precision bass - SOLD

Delberthot

I've come to the conclusion that the Thunderbird is the one and only bass that I want. I've posted a thread in the repair/technical section to get a bit of advice regarding routing for a set of EMGs so I'll see what some people say there before deciding for definite.

Anyway this, as you may know, is a very highly specced bass and was a culmination of playing many different basses to find the combination that I wanted.

The body is mahogany, rear routed so it has a huge control cavity for adding a preamp (no battery box though). Its finished in gold flake and fitted with a Gotoh 201 gold bridge, 500k caps, paper-in-oil cap, Schaller strap locks and has been recently fitted with a Seymour Duncan Stack for Single Coil Precision bass pickup which comes from the SD custom shop and is about £160 new.

The jazz bass width neck is wenge with an ebony fretboard and side dots only. I also specified the gold frets which I believe have something like copper or brass or something like that to make them look gold. It is also fitted with a Warwick JAN III nut for added adjustability.

The neck is fitted with a gold string tree and Gotoh BML tuners.

The wenge neck is very slippery and if it starts to feel sticky from gigging, simply run some 000 grade steel wool over it and its back to being slippery as an eel.

I currently have this fitted with a set of 50 gauge Rotosound flats and it sounds amazing. Nice fat bottom end but stilll clear as a bell.

The necks on Warmoth basses are rock solid. This bass has 50 gauge strings and the truss rod is as loose as it will go. There was a bit of back bow when I got the bass back and I mean a little bit but it could have been due to a change in temperature or something and that's totally gone since I fitted these strings.

I've had a look for marks and there's only a couple that I can see. There's a bit of paint chipped off on the body at the bottom of the neck heel so you and the audience won't see it while playing. The other one is a ding on the tip of the headstock. One of the tuner screws is missing as you will se in one of the pictures. Other than that its tip top.

You may or may not be interested in what made me choose the parts I did so here goes:

Mahogany body as fitted to my 30th anniversary Stingray and Goth Thunderbird
Gold Flake finish as my Modulus Flea bass had the silver finish and I thought gold would be cool
Gotoh bridge as per the Modulus
Wenge neck from my Warwick Thumb NT5 as is the JAN III
Ebony fretboard with side dots only as per my Bass Collection SB665
Gotoh BML tuners as all of my Stingrays had.
Seymour Duncan Stack for Single Coil cos I love Sting's sound
Rotosound 50 gauge flats cos I'm a bit of a Steve Harris fan and I love the strings in general

I'm going to have to put a price on this which is difficult but to give you an idea, If you were to spec this and have it made today you wouldn't get much change out of £1000 when you factor in the cost of the parts, shipping, customs and having Jimmy Moon fit the nut and give it a fret level.

sh*t this is more difficult than I thought. How does £600 sound? I'll say £600 value for a trade but may be able to go lower for a cash sale. I may also be interested in trades of the headless variety or try me. You may have something I like.

and now the pictures. I've noticed that one of them was taken when I had the bartolini active circuit fitted but its back to being passive and has two gold knobs

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1320568985' post='1428326']
I thought you two had only just been reunited, were deeply in love and would be together for the rest of eternity.

Good luck with the sale, it's a lovely looker
[/quote]

Yeah so did I but its not giving me what I want. Plus if I ever changed my sound there's a chance I could get it back if it goes to someone on the forum.

[quote name='Skezza' timestamp='1320572110' post='1428348']
I have a warmoth jazz in my picture Nordstrands audere baddass schallers. I love it its up there with custom shop fender quality.

This by the way looks absolutely awesome.

skez
[/quote]

Its top banana as far as quality goes.