Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz on a plane -neck on or off?

Bassy

Hi i need to pick your collective brains! I'm going to bring a 5 string Jazz over from the US. What's the best way to do it? a: in a hard case b: remove the neck and hopefully put the body and neck in the overhead lockers c: ship it back.
Also has anyone been stopped by customs bringing a guitar into the UK?
Thanks.

Thanks, maybe i'll buy a samsonite suitcase and put it in that.

[quote name='synaesthesia' post='163030' date='Mar 25 2008, 11:13 AM']If you are flying with it it is possible to pack it in your luggage; neck demounted. I've done this loads of times with Ibanez, Yamaha, Status, and Warmoth Fender style Bolt on basses. Once or twice I hand carried the neck and put it in the overhead cabin in the 80s, I think you can't carry it like that anymore. Last time I flew with an instrument was in Jan 2006 with a bolt on Yamaha dismantled in the luggage.[/quote]

I very much doubt you will be alowed the neck as hand luggage, last year I went to barsalona on a skate trip with Death Skateboards team and they wouldnt allow our boards in the cabbin because they can be used as a weppon, pretty sure they will see a neck that way too.