Why become a member? ×

Bluegrass Bass - Message from Mike Bub

bgbass

We have just received this from top Nashville acoustic bassist Mike Bub:

It is a great pleasure to be asked to participate in this year's Transatlantic Bluegrass School being held in Wales May 7-11. As a traveling road musician I relish the idea of staying in one place for a week of fellowship and skill sharpening. As a musician I have mainly stayed in the more traditional area of Bluegrass. I will provide some insight on how to use various techniques that create the unique rhythmic foundation of traditional bluegrass. My main influences down through the years have been folks like Jerry McCoury, Roy Huskey Jr., Jake Tullock and Bob Moore all the way to the schooled playing of folks like Ray Brown and Milt Hinton. I have picked up a few things as well from some of my contemperaries such as Missy Raines, Bryn Davies, Todd Phillips, Dave Pomeroy, Dennis Crouch and Mark Schatz, among others. Having traveled and recorded for the last twenty years with the likes of Weary Hearts, Del McCoury Band, Bill Monroe, Peter Rowan, Tony Rice, Dale Ann Bradley, The Osborne Bros., Jesse McReynolds and many others, there is a wealth of experience to assist aspiring bassists.

My teaching will include tips on technique, both right and left hand, to gain control of your tone and timing. Learning a few scales and practice regimens to gain access to the upper fingerboard. The all important and most popular slap and rockabilly techniques. Bass set-up and tone improving tips. Additionally, I will spend some time on the basics of music theory and how it relates to the bass and how to use it to your advantage. The Nashville Number Chord System will also be explained and demonstrated to learn how chords, strings and position on the bass all relate from one key to another. The biggest goal of the week will be to make at least one big breakthrough during the week and lay the groundwork for many more beyond our time at the Tranatlantic workshop.

I would encourage any and all participants to bring a bass! This helps a lot. Any recorded material that you would like to learn and or analyze should be brought along. Taping devices (audio or video) are a big help as well. I would hope that everyone will come with an idea that they would like to explore or specific questions that we can address.

I look forward to our week in Wales. Travel safe and we will see you there.

Mike Bub
Nashville, Tennessee "

We are greatly honoured to have Mike as our bass tutor this year and we're sure it will be a terrific week for anyone seriously into acoustic bass in a traditional and contemporary bluegrass setting. Full details of the event and location, etc., with links to local accommodation may be seen at [url="http://www.transatlanticbluegrass.com"]Bass Week with Mike Bub[/url]

Regards,
Andy at Transatlantic Bluegrass School