Why become a member? ×

P-J 2 knob wiring

Twigman

I am still contemplating my P-J build.....

First I was on the hunt for a stacked concentric 250k knob so that I could have the jack in the plate and still have a tone control.

but I couldn't find one that would fit my chosen knobs....

so then I thought about going 3 knob Fender Precision Special style but I've never had a side jack before and to me it just seems sort of [i]wrong[/i]....

Now I don't really ever use the tone on my P-bass....it's always tuned to max (perhaps that why I hanker after a J neck pup?) and was wondering if I really needed a tone knob.

I am close to ordering my body and need advice....

So how would the wiring look if I just had a volume for each pup?
Would I miss the tone knob?

In my mind balancing the volumes between the 2 pups would provide the tone......what am I missing?

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1320795143' post='1431674']
what knobs do you want?
[/quote]

Just standard vintage style but the one's I have are imperial to go on std CTS pots (15/64" I think)

I found a stacked concentric 250k pot but the shafts were both too fat for the matching knobs (17/64" lower / 3/16" upper)...the only 250k stacked concentric pot I can find is out of stock everywhere and has 8.2mm lower and 6.25mm upper ( which are much larger)