Why become a member? ×

modulus quantom qw5

HADGE

Hi guys i know you lot know a lot more about basses than me so i want advice please i already have a fender p and 2 warwicks plus other basses but was offerd buy a mate of mine a modulus quantum but know nothing about them and was wondering if any of you have one or have owned one and what are they like. My mate said he wants abuot £800 is this to much thanks guys.

Edited by HADGE

If you're looking for info on these basses on the Internet, best spell it right - it's QUANTUM.

That's a high-quality bass with a distinctive sound, different from either your Precision or your Warwicks. Some of the early ones had problems with their composite necks but you'd expect one being offered for sale now to have that sorted.

Advising on price for a bass no one here has seen, and with no photos, is a bit of a loser's game. A Quantum in excellent, all-original condition could easily be worth over £1000. A beaten-up example with replaced electronics could easily be worth less than £500.

Play it first. The softness of the body wood tends to have a big influence over how warm the bass sounds in my experience (having owned two Quantums in my time). The risk is that you may find the bass to be more sterile sounding than either your warwicks or fenders. Check whether its got Bartolini pickups or EMGs, the Bartolinis can sound warmer on a brittle sounding instrument, also SWR amps make a brittle sounding bass much much warmer and ear friendly.

My fretless Quantum had a neck issue because the fingerboard wasn't stiff enough (according to Rob Green). It wasn't an early one, it was from about 1995.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1321043335' post='1434896']
Play it first. The softness of the body wood tends to have a big influence over how warm the bass sounds in my experience (having owned two Quantums in my time). The risk is that you may find the bass to be more sterile sounding than either your warwicks or fenders. Check whether its got Bartolini pickups or EMGs, the Bartolinis can sound warmer on a brittle sounding instrument, also SWR amps make a brittle sounding bass much much warmer and ear friendly.

My fretless Quantum had a neck issue because the fingerboard wasn't stiff enough (according to Rob Green). It wasn't an early one, it was from about 1995.
[/quote] thanks kiwi