Why become a member? ×

Mesa Vs Mesa

Mark_Bass

Hiya chaps,

I've been using my Mesa M-pulse 360 for some time now, and to be honest i think its a great amp, more power than i need the bands ive played in especially coupled with my newly aquired Amped 410.
i'm lucky in respects my cab lives in our nicely secure and dry rehearsal space and so moving it only when we gig.
But i lug my head around to and from rehearsals and after 4 years or so of doing it, id like a lighter alternative.
The little mesa m-pulse wlakabout head is basicly the scaled down version of my m-pulse 360, same power, same valves lighter weight.
But i cannot find a local stockist that has one to try A\B with my head so i was hoping someone here could offer some opinons as to if there any differences between the two heads etc

cheers!

AFAIK, the MPulse 360 is a scaled-down MPulse 600 - have a look on Talkbass, there's a fair bit of tonal comparison between the Walkabout and the 600 on there.

I've owned the 600 and the Walkabout. I preferred the Walkabout, as it had inherently stronger mids IME, but they're both great, great heads.

The Walkabout has its' flaws - no mute, hopelessly impractical post-everything DI, no speakons, but the main problem with it is... it's stupidly, stupidly, expensive. Like.. stupidly.

Anyway, I've ended up with the Genz Streamliner, which IME has a real Mesa Simul-statey thing going on, and it punches like the MESA heads do. A lot cheaper, and a lot lighter.

Something to think about...

[quote name='Mark_Bass' timestamp='1321550649' post='1440584']
I admit i find it odd that in this day and age mesa dont seem to put speakcons on all their heads, and yeah they are stupidly, stuuupidly expensive.
I guess they must use unicorn poo as a secret component or something....
[/quote]

Isn't there some EU law that everything over 500w has to have SpeakOns nowadays? I 'm sure i spotted something like that somewhere.

Liam

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1321551640' post='1440597']
Isn't there some EU law that everything over 500w has to have SpeakOns nowadays? I 'm sure i spotted something like that somewhere.

[/quote]

No idea Liam, though it wouldn't surprise me, but the walkabout is only 360watts at 4ohms, so maybe it doesn't need to be? :-s