Why become a member? ×

Stingray 5-string clone project

So one day I bought this Stagg MB300/5 or something, a 5-string Stingray copy type of bass, but with the oval scratchplate like the 4-string counterpart.

I bought it because it had a wide string spacing (~19mm), with a wide neck, and looked good. Natural finish, maple fingerboard, 4+1 headstock, and tortoiseshell effect pickguard.

The original control plate has only two knobs and an output socket. Yes, it is passive. So I bought a 3-band preamp from eBay with a new control plate. It is not really installed yet, but I did temporarily assembeled it to try it, and seems decent. Also, the original pickup with the 10 big polepieces was a bit narrow, soapbar sized. I bought a Seymour Duncan SMB5A for the bass. I have widened the scratchplate for it, and routed the bass so that the pickup fits. It does, but carelessly I damaged a bit of the top of the scratchplate in one corner. It does not show much, but it's there.
I bought a plastic cover to create a cavity in the back to better fit the preamp and battery, and started routing the first pass, just 2mm deep to make the cover recessed. I did not do a great job. I would probably get a slightly bigger cover (easy, since I bought a small one) and repeat the process so that it looks good.

I just don't have much time in my hands these days for these things, and I was just wondering whether anybody would be interested in this bass, currently in bits. With a bit of work it will be a nice sounding SR-style bass, with a wide string spacing, something there isn't a lot of choice around.

So what am I selling exactly?

- Bass body and neck, attached buy without bridge, pickup etc attached. All that is provided, just not assembled.
- bridge, with original strings if desired
- original soapbar pickup and new unused Seymour Duncan SMB5A alnico pickup. The body is routed to accept this larger pickup.
- original scratchplate, with pickup route enlarged to accept the SMB5A pickup
- original control plate, with volume and tone controls.
- new control plate with 3-band preamp assembled and wired, but needs wiring to pickup and fitting.
- back control cavity cover

Looking for [size=5][b]£125[/b][/size] plus £10 delivery for the lot. The bass cost me £190 plus delivery, pickup was £75 I believe, and preamp around £40-50. I just don't have the time.
Open to trade offers for anything interesting, in particular overdrive pedals...

I will take some pictures of all the pieces and post them later.

[quote name='gilmour' timestamp='1321733773' post='1442635']
Have you got any pics?
[/quote]

Sorry, I still haven't managed to be more than 10min at home since I posted this. I should be able to post pictures tomorrow night, watch this space :)

Some pics... unfortunately they're not very good quality, but that's all I could manage right now. In a few days I should be able to take some better ones, if desired.

Here's the front of the bass. The pickguard has some white marks, but that's just from the tape I used to protect it when cutting it. It does have a bit of damage on the top right corner of the pickup mount. It's only aesthetic, and being tortoiseshell-like, it is not too obvious... but it is noticeable.

The bass itself has no marks, it's in excellent condition, and so is the neck and frets.

Here's the bridge:

And here's some other bits: pickups and controls.

From left to right that's the Seymour Duncan SMB5A, new. The original pickup. The new control plate with a 3-band preamp already wired, including knobs. The old control plate, wired.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1327355552' post='1509983']
Might be worth reposting the pics as they seem to have disappeared.
[/quote]

:huh: I still see them (post #4)
It must have been a temporary glitch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Maybe in a couple of months if this is still here I may get the hankerin for a 5er ray all though looking at that neck I and my liking of narrow string spacing I could probably make it a 6er ;) - Type BUMP on me :)

Kettles on btw ;)

A