Why become a member? ×

Buck and fugger! Ampeg Portaflex goes boom. *Sigh* back it goes...

Moos3h

Not really having much luck recently. After killing my SWR Workingman, I thought I'd do things properly so splashed out on one of the seriously neat looking Ampeg PF-500 heads.

But 2/3rds into last nights set, the bloody thing starts cutting out on me! Wasn't overdriving it, wasn't overly stressing it, but with low notes or harder than soft plucking, it would cut out for about a second.

So, back to Soundslive it goes - thankfully they are a company who have done right by me in the past, so shouldn't have any trouble.

I'm going back to old School heavy-as-they-come Trace Elliot I think.

There have been design issues, from what I`ve read over on Talkbass.

I`ve had my PF500 since about May, and so far haven`t had any issues - am touching wood, keeping fingers crossed etc whilst I type this.

It`s a shame, these amps sound really good, are easy to carry about, and are very competetively priced, but with things like this, they`ll end up with a very poor reputation.

Seems the first batch of a lot of Ampeg amps seem to have problems - the SVT 7PRO also had these types of issues.

[quote name='Moos3h' timestamp='1321806315' post='1443229']
One eight ohm cab! :s
[/quote]

Oh, that's not good at all.
Now I'm going to be all paranoid about my PF-500...

... which was my second one as the first one cut out a lot...

Edited by bartelby

I`ve run mine with a single 8 ohm cab, and two 8 ohm cabs together, and not experienced anything.

What are the eq settings, and how do you have the Gain & Compressor set?

I have mine Bass 5, Mid 4 (Mid-Shift on position 3) Treble 5. Ultra-Low engaged. Compressor on 5, Gain on 7 (light illuminates briefly, when playing hardest low notes).

Mine had the gain at about 1/2 way with the pad in and no compression. All eq flat bar the treble at 3 o clock. To bring the cutting out under control, I lowered the bass and disengaged the bass button and brought the output volume down from 1 o clock to 12 o clock.

Not impressed, the resultant volume was nowhere near what I needed and we all had to turn down as a result, leaving the whole sound feeling very flat.

That`s not good - understatement of the year. The amp definately needs to go back - you`re not using it anywhere near it`s potential, and still getting cut-outs. I wouldn`t expect it to cut out anyway, unless everything was on full, inc volume, but from your set-up, it`s a defective unit - send it back. Soundslive are very good to deal with, I wouldn`t have thought you`d have a problem with them.

Cheers - I've already completed the RMA online, so fingers crossed it can go tomorrow.

One thing that has really puzzled me is the lack of headroom - I wonder if perhaps my unit has never been completely right. I always have to have the pad switch in and I have a passive jazz with the gain at 12 o'clock. Any more and the clip light illuminates and I can hear a level of distortion coming in. For 500w, it just doesn't seem to have much 'go' in it.

That's not right.

I use an EBMM, pad switch out, gain at 1 o'clock and the peak light barely flickers.

EDIT: just noticed that if have the Ultra low switch out I have to turn the gain down to maintain the same degree of peak light activity...

Edited by bartelby

I suppose it depends on the db rating of the cab it`s going into. I used mine with a single 8 ohm 410, 104 db rating. Gain on 7, Master volume on 4, in a venue that hols 100/150 and it was plenty loud enough. In fact, the rest of the backline went through the house pa, but the sound engineer said he didn`t need to with my bass setup. I must have been crap that night!

No, seriously, I`ve never needed my PF on more than 4 on the volume. I`ve used it in a metal band, with 2 gtrs, and my 2 current bands, a punk covers band, and a band with drums, 2 basses, 3 gtrs, keys, and 2 singers.

Never needed the pad button in either. I think your amp has been defective from day 1.

Mad thing is i was thinking of getting an orange terror head but got put off by some reliability issue's. Im still suprised how far i have to turn up the volume compaired to other amps ive had (around 400 watts) im happy with it, if a little worried.