Why become a member? ×

Low B on a 32" scale bass - anyone do this ?

Soliloquy

It'll more than likely be OK, you'd just need to be careful with your string choice and technique perhaps? A light touch can go along way with that kind of set up.
If it's the instrument I think it is, might be worth dropping the luthier a line, see what they recommend, the main guy at that company if very friendly and approachable and I'm sure he'd be happy to help out.
A well made instrument should be able to handle that set up just fine, especially if you get strings made to fit, Newtone strings would help you out with that no bother at all.
Netwone've made custom strings for ACG's 31.5" basses, specifically wound and weighted for that scale length and you wouldn't know you were playing a shorter scale whatsoever as far as tone and string tension goes.
I play 33" basses with a low B and have never had any hassles really, I tried custom strings for that a while back, but love the lower tension you get from regular DR strings on the slightly shorter scale, so I've settled with that.

Keep me posted on how you get on, a shorter scale 5 or 6 string bass is always on my GAS list :)

Eude