Why become a member? ×

Good EUB for arco playing?

fretmeister

I was considering buying one of the Archer DBs that are so well regarded here, and that is what I really want, but despite my best efforts I just can't see how I will fit it in the house.

So, for space saving I may have to go with an EUB. I had a NS WAV for a bit which I enjoyed and played pizz, but it was a curiosity then - now I want to have some lessons and learn to play arco properly.

Is there an EUB that performs well for mostly arco use? I realise I won't get the proper sound of a DB and the amp choice is a massive factor, but any advice would be welcome.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1322351164' post='1449930']
+1. I'm actually planning (well - trying and getting gazumped mostly) to buy a second bass just to learn to bow, because I like the sound of my current bass and don't want to change the strings.
[/quote]

Now that is dedication to GAS!

My Streamline has DR Green Neons on it at the moment - I shall tell the missus I need another one for the orange strings! :)

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1322386627' post='1450054']Now that is dedication to GAS!

My Streamline has DR Green Neons on it at the moment - I shall tell the missus I need another one for the orange strings! :)[/quote]
:)

Well, I have two bass guitars; one strung with rounds, one with flats. I see it as a similar scenario, just wanting to have more sounds rather than more gear. I'll have one DB strung with steely-sounding hybrids that bow well, and one with more trad-sounding strings that slap well. There's no string that does it all.

Also I've played the DB every day since I got it so I don't think it's unreasonable to have a busking bass and one 'for best'. :)

Yep, know the feeling. I've ended up with two DB's after I put Innovation 'Psycho Slaps' on my carved to try and use it for some Rocakbilly. I got a ply / solid front DB with Rotosound RS4000 just to use for slap, so I can put steels back on the carved DB. The nylon 'Psychos' are boweable, but they're a real pain in that regard. I've since found out that people like Lee Rocker and Djordje Stijepovic use steels for slap.

At the end of the day it's personal preference with strings and a good steel string or steel covered nylon hybrid string with your preferred tension can almost 'do it all'.

Edited by zero9