Why become a member? ×

In Ear Monitor Set-Ups

Dave D

The band joined a few months back have been using in-ear monitors for a few years, but i've avoided it until recently. Because the first few gigs were small venues, i didnt really see the point. However, the last gig was a bit larger and i had no chance of hearing the vocals from the PA so used the spare monitor pack. Have to admit that i might have been missing a trick there.

So now i'm bitten, i'm looking at some new monitors. But i've read that some players also have a feed from their bass amp mixed in too. How would this work?

The current set up takes a feed from the PA monitor out, but i think that there are still 'line outs' free. Also i have line outs on my bass head. So if i got my own transmitter would i need to mix the vocal feed and my bass on a small mixer, o can you have more than one feed into a transmitter?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks guys

Hiya, sounds like you`re a bit confused as to what`s being sent to your monitor pack.
Most commonly they are fed from an aux out, which is simply another "mix" of whatever channels are on the mixer.
However, from your post I`m getting the vibe that you used a direct out usually used for recording a particular channel, and in your case that was your voice and it was cabled directly to your pack transmitter.
So now you want a bit of bass in there too and need to know what are the options?
OK, depending on the actual monitor pack, there should be a "mono" mode you can set, which will allow you to mix two mono signals,one each in on L&R inputs on the transmitter, and the pack itself will let you blend these two inputs using the "Pan" control. As it`s in mono mode you`ll hear both signals in both ears.
So you can take your Vox from the mixer direct output and your bass from somewhere in your signal path like the FX send or tuner out etc.
That`s the simplest way I can think of for getting what you want without an aux mix.
The more complicated way is to take say 8 direct outs on an 8 way loom, into a cheap mini mixer like a Spirit notepad or WHY and use that to mix your stereo mix,and send that to the transmitter.so you can have kik snare bass git git keys vox vox all mixed in stereo just as you like it.
Bit more faff, but once it`s set it`s a great solution.
Please let me know if that`s helped any and I`ll be happy to explain in more detail if needed.
MM

• 2 months later...

Hey MM,
Sorry to resurrect.
I've done a bit of trawling and you seem to know a few things about IEM / personal monitoring systems! What would be a cost effective (not necessarily cheap) of getting the whole band set up? We don't jump around a whole lot, but some may want to be wireless. Also, just the FOH mix would probably be fine to be honest.

If I've missed an IEM megathread or sticky, apologies, or if you know of a decent dummies guide anywhere online.

Thanks!
Chris