Why become a member? ×

Strings `n things

Monckyman

Lo all.
I`m about to start playing classic soft jazz songs like Nina Simone and Ella Fitzgerald in a 3 piece band and consequently need to spend a little love and cash on the Upright.
One thing I really need to sort is the strings. I know it`s a personal thing and dependant on many variables, but I have to ask.
I`m ideally looking for soft feeling non steel strings,(no mag pickup) that give an old school warmth and a medium tension.
A friend recommended some Weedwackers which I thought were primarily rockabilly strings, but he`s very happy playing classic jazz on them.
Any views?
Also, I think my sound post has moved. I`m getting a raspy rattle on the E at volume.
How much to fix, approximately?
If it`s going to a luthier, I may as well get a new bridge fitted to my taste as the action and high tension steels are crippling me at the moment,can anyone give an approximate fee for a new bridge and fitting?
I`m also in the market for a pickup and I`m thinking a Bassmax to start and see where that takes me. I won`t need loud levels.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
MM

Edited by Monckyman

For strings, I'd suggest a set of Innovation Honeys or, if you're feeling flush, a set of Velvet Garbos. Personally, I love the Garbos and they're perfect for the soul (think 'Georgia') and bluegrass/country stuff that I play. They are rather expensive but I've had the same set going on two years and they're still going strong.

Curious as to why you want non steel strings. The default jazz string is the Spirocore. Of course there are many other alternatives. The Spiro weich's with a mittle E will produce a great jazz sound on most basses. The Weich's are reasonably low in tension. I have changed from Mittles and there is a noticable difference.
You might want to consider an adjustable bridge. or if you want to kill two birds... fit a fishman full circle pick up which is built into the adjustable bridge. I have no experience of the Bass Max so can't comment. As regards the raspy rattle. I assume this is heard when playing acoustically? Get in touch with a Luthier . It's good to have a "go to " luthier . Ask friends and use this forum to find which Luthiers are recommended for your locality.
Re the bridge. If your bridge is of reasonable quality a good luthier will be able to shave off a couple of millimetres of the feet . There are many options to consider. good luck

The SoundPost is clearing some strings on Ebay, several Innovation sets are going at a great price. There are also some Eurosonics on ebay.

I have Velvet Animas on and they are a lovely string with quite a complex but pleasing tone. Great volume and easy on the hands.

Weedwackers will be low tension but I think you'll lose use of your E string due to the low tension. I could be wrong though as each bass is different :)

Get your bass to a good luthier for a tune up, string change etc...well worth the money.