Why become a member? ×

Samson s monitor

thebassman

Hi guys
I am looking at using the above for personal monitoring at gigs.
I want to take a stereo out from the pa, this has vocals and guitars going through it.
I also want to di my bass thru the xlr mic input.
Is this possible and can I blend the levels for a headphone mix? Looks feasible from the manual, just not sure. Has anyone got experience of this unit.
Cheers
Thebassman

[size=4]Hiya.[/size]
Yes the S can do that, as quoted here by a Sound on Sound review.
[i]"Next out of the hat was the S*Monitor, another simple but useful box intended to provide personal headphone monitoring on stage or in the studio. Essentially, it incorporates a balanced XLR mic input with a Mic Thru XLR connector, and combines the mic signal with any stereo line-level source fed in via the rear-panel stereo jack, before feeding it to the headphone outs. There's also a Mix Thru stereo jack that allows multiple units to be connected where more outputs are needed.[/i][color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
[i]There's one rotary control to set the microphone level and another to set the stereo mix level. There are no individual or overall phones level controls."[/i][/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
[size=4]The only lack on this unit is an overall headphones level, so you can`t turn up or down quickly, but have to turn both the inputs down,while keeping the relative mix..[/size][/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
It`s pretty inexpensive, but personally, I would go for a small 2 channel micro mixer instead as this would give you eq on the inputs, a master out level,some visual idea of levels and the ability to use it for other applications. All you need is a Y cable (XLR) to split your mic cable into one of the mic inputs and the main mixer and then stick the stereo send from your main mixer into a stereo input channel of the micro mixer[/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Sampson,Peavey,Behringer Mackie and the Spirit notepad come to mind as solutions.[/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Also there is this.[/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alto-ZMX52-5-Channel-Mini-Mixer-Compact-Mixing-Console-/270810507272?pt=UK_Mixers&hash=item3f0d906808#ht_4045wt_1183"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alto-ZMX52-5-Channel-Mini-Mixer-Compact-Mixing-Console-/270810507272?pt=UK_Mixers&hash=item3f0d906808#ht_4045wt_1183[/url][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
About the same price as the Sampson,but far more versatile as a personal monitor mixer.[/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
MM[/font][/color]

Hi - I recently started using the S Monitor and am v happy with it. I actually just have my mic XLR feed going in and thru to the mixing desk - giving me sterio monitor of JUST my vocals, and then also putting the bass in and through via the sterio input. This only gives me the bass monitor in the left ear, and the volume has to be set to 9 to hear (whereas the mic volume is 1) but to be honest this is good enough to give me a nice clear vocals mix with a tickle of bass.
I'm sure there are far more clever ways of diong this, but for a plonker like me it still does exactly what I bought it for so happy days.
Good luck

Edited by MattB