Why become a member? ×

Anyone own a QSC power amp ?

far0n

My eventual plan is to run two 4 ohm cabs through an amp that obviously can run at 2 ohms. So I'd pretty much decided to get a QSC 1850HD. I noticed that to run at 2 ohms the amp needs to be in ran in stereo, so is it just a case of taking a line out from one channel into the other ?? Anyone recommend a half decent preamp to go with it ? Running in stereo could be fun afterall !!

I used to run a QSC PLX 1604 with various pre amps. I had one output from the pre into channel 1 of the PLX, then set the dip switches on it to parallel and voila you can either run 1 cab per channel or just 1 cab if you have quieter gigs. I did try stereo / seperate sounds to each channel / cab at one point but didnt find it did quite what I thought it would do!

By using the power amp you can chop and change youre pre amp every gig if you want to...lol. I'm using an Alembic F-1X which I'm really happy with. In the past I've tried Ampeg SVP-PRO, Mindprint En-voice II, JoMeek VC6Qcs all of which I can reccomend. If you do a trawl of the forum(S) you'll probably get a more detailed description of sounds available from different pre's that would help you decide.

I have a QSC PLX1602, which also can have each channel running at 2 ohms simultaneously. You don't necessarily have to use both channels, though. If your cabinet(s) have a total resistance of 2 ohms, you can power them through channel A, for example, and have channel B turned all the way down. Or, you can set the amp so it takes only one input signal and splits it between channel A and B. You still can run 2 ohms per side, but feeding the amp just one signal from a single preamp.

With mine QSC I used the MXR M80 bass DI, Bass Pod Pro, TL Audio 5051, Focusrite Twin Track Pro and the Sansamp VT Bass. I liked all of them, but my favourite of the lot is the VT Bass, but it depends a lot on the sound you're looking for.

[quote name='eddiehoffmann' timestamp='1323020145' post='1458361']
I have a QSC PLX1602, which also can have each channel running at 2 ohms simultaneously. You don't necessarily have to use both channels, though. If your cabinet(s) have a total resistance of 2 ohms, you can power them through channel A, for example, and have channel B turned all the way down.
[/quote]

It's probably better for reliability in the long-term to run 2 channels at 4 ohms rather than a single channel at 2 - look how the distortion spec differs for the PLX series at 2 ohms versus 4. As above, the parallel switching config makes this a doddle.

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1323022777' post='1458402']
It's probably better for reliability in the long-term to run 2 channels at 4 ohms rather than a single channel at 2 - look how the distortion spec differs for the PLX series at 2 ohms versus 4. As above, the parallel switching config makes this a doddle.
[/quote]
+1 to that.