Why become a member? ×

Reconnect Footswitch output Jack on old analogue delay box

Dave Vader

Right, I have an old Melos DE-1 analogue delay box, which is a lot of fun. Particularly if you set it to mock up a bit of ADT, it's lovely, but not all the time. It's a stand alone unit with a jack out for footswitch, it used to belong to a CB hobby chap, who rewired it for CBs. Which involved taking out the footswitch jack. I've only ever used it in the studio before, so no problem, but after 15 years, I think it needs to come out and play in my live guitar rig, so I need the switch to work again.

It's got 2 inputs (only one of which is any use, -20 and -50db, -20 is good) and one output (rigged to a level selector). All the 3 jack sockets are 3-pin, my question is, I know this should be very easy indeed to wire back together to work so the footswitch bypasses the delay circuits, but I can't get my head around it as I am very tired.

Could someone cleverer than me show me the obvious wiring solution so I don't accidentally break the damn thing? I know it's a simple bypass circuit, but I can't for the life of me figure out where the wires need to go.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

It really depends on what adaptions have already been made to the unit - those old Melos units were modded by CB users in al sorts of ways.
If the mod involved removing the footswitch jack then you're either going to have to undo the mod or find/make a suitable hole for a replacement one.

Essentially, you need to break the signal path away from the input of the board and feed it directly to the output jack using a DPDT footswitch.
Using a 6 contact jack socket will allow the unit to function 'correctly' when the footswitch is unplugged.

Don't know if that's helped at all, shout if it hasn't and I'll have a bash at scribbling something down and scanning it for you.

The Jack is still there, it's just not connected anymore (except for a blue ground wire) I had hoped that the jack socket for the footswitch (I have a footswitch, just built it last night from a broken wah pedal) would essentially wire in the same as a standard fx pedal stomp circuit, though using a jack socket rather than a switch. If you can scribble something that looks like wires and tabs, I'd be eternally grateful.
If I swapped out the 3 contact socket for a 6 contact then I could get what I need? Is that what you mean?

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1323100410' post='1459258']
If I swapped out the 3 contact socket for a 6 contact then I could get what I need? Is that what you mean?
[/quote]

No it'd take a little more than that.
I'd need to scribble it down on paper to make sure, but in my 'imaginary circuit', if you used a standard three contact socket then the unit would always have to have a footswitch attached or else it wouldn't work.

I'll have a scribble later and see what I can come up with... :)

EDIT: Here you go - not sanity checked and was scrawled on the back of an envelope, but it looks about right :)[attachment=94579:Bypass.jpg]

Edited by icastle