Why become a member? ×

Mudbucker - adjustable pole pieces?

matski

The Status Vintage P bass that I have just bought is a lovely instrument - but there is one slight niggle I have with it: uneven string volume.

Basically the E and G strings are quieter than than the A and D strings.

String height relative to the pickup is all okay in relation to the relief of the neck, so the only thing I could think of was maybe raising the pickups pole pieces. Would this be effective or not?

Looking at the picture of the pickup, you can see that each pole piece has a screwhead style top to it - so they should be adjustable, right?

[attachment=94710:pickup closeup.jpg]

Just asking before I do anything - don't want to cause any problems.... :)

Edited by matski

I've just had a look at the Status Vintage range - looks really nice. Interestingly they mention the J pickup as being a Status but don't mention who made the mudbucker so, given the single row of polepieces you can probably assume it's a fairly standard after market mudbucker copy. You should be able to raise or lower the pole pieces a fair way - if they're there, they are there to be used. Don't worry too much about screwing them down too far as it's pretty easy to tell when they've gone as far as they can go. The DiMarzio Model 1 Mr Foxen mentioned is a very different pickup to a normal mudbucker so you shouldn't have any problems with cracked resin.

Thanks for the input, guys.

In the end I gave it a go and got busy with my little screwdriver - I only needed to give the 2 pole pieces a turn or two to get the volume evened out across the strings.

A new set of strings helped too. :)