Why become a member? ×

Jazz Basses - Best years

vincentobrien

Yes, the new ones are excellent. I've got a 2008 P and it's the best I've ever played.

It's a really odd situation when a company is effectively competing against it's own second hand products due to this culture of bullshit that has developed around anything old. Unless you really know what you are doing I would advise against buying an old bass. They are very patchy in quality and people who own good ones realise the value of what they have and tend to hang on to them.

The 2008 models are pretty scarce at the moment and you would probably have to pay top dollar if you found one, but there are still a lot of S1 models around and you may get a fairly good discount against list.

Don't rule out Mexican or Jap Jazzes though. The quality of either is also very good.

Edited by PaulMartin

Hi Vincent,

It's hit and miss with Fender basses, best to try as many as you can, I'd agree with paul, the newer models are very good though. I have two USA Jazz, one is 2004 S1 switching and the other is a little earlier without the S1 switch, totally reliable and comfortable to play, I wouldn't be without them. Fender Japan are also very good.

I haven't been lucky enough to come across an early Jazz, I used to have a 76 or 78...P bass (so I was told when I bought it, I'll never know but it was old...ish :) ) that was a tidy bass to play too.

here is probably a cheap laugh but I think it's even worse to judge a Jazz by the year than a Precision. this is because I think the neck joins are of a more variable quality.
you got to play before you buy I think and what I like could be rubbish for you
I have a '71 with a crap neck join but it's a funky bass, you know. So the sound might be better than the actual make of the instrument. but a purist might think I cannot justify buying this poorly constructed bass.