Why become a member? ×

V-Bass multicore cable

pete.young

Question about cables for V-Bass and bass synth users.

My multicore V-Bass cable (GKC-5 I think) is showing signs of breaking down, so I need a replacement. I appear to have 3 options:

1) Buy a replacement Roland cable - £39 OUCH
2) Buy some 13-Pin DIN plugs and some multicore cable and make one - about £6 in bits plus some uncertainty
3) A Kenwood CD Changer lead - £18 off the bay. This is a 13-Pin to 13-Pin lead, the pinouts are different but is it reasonable to assume that the Ground connector isn't linked to the sheathing? (the Roland one isn't, but the pinouts are different.

Anyone done this or have any helpful suggestions? I'm thinking that for 6 quid I might have a punt at making one myself.

The problem with these cables is there is always a compromise between fitting in the required number of conductors and robustness. IMO most multi-core cables used for instruments in an non-installation situation really need to be at least twice as thick as they normally are in order to have a decent robust conductor diameter, but that would generally make them too unwieldy.

If you are going to make your own then your soldering skills really need to up to military grade standards. Make sure that the conductors in your cable are multi-core and not single strand, otherwise it'll probably fail the first time you use it live, and get some good heavy duty connectors preferably with metal bodies. I'm guessing though that a cable made to these standards will cost a bit more than £6.00.

I'd approach this from a slightly different angle.

IME well over 50% of failed cables are faulty either because 1) a solder connection has come adrift or 2) a conductor has failed in the last 6" of the cable.

I'd visually inspect the soldering and, if that looked ok, cut 6" off the cable and reuse the plugs (if they aren't moulded) using the sliced off portion to ascertain the wiring configuration.

Reusing the original cable and plugs obviously wont make you a more robust cable, but it's safe to assume that a rebuilt cable should last you as long as the original one.