Why become a member? ×

In France They Kiss On Main Street Cover

AndyBob09

Bloody excellent, sonny..! It helps when it's one of my favourite songs from one of my favourite artists, of course. I especially smiled at the desperate (and successful..!) lunge in the last bars to get the lick out..! Well done, I thoroughly enjoyed that, which is quite rare, I'm afraid, from a 'home' cover. I agree with the comment on Hejira.
Have you tried fretless..? No reproach intended, but the expression is wildly different on that instrument (I'm greatly struggling, myself...).
First bass cover..? I'm admirative; eagerly awaiting the next one(s), then. Keep it up, you're doing (very...) well indeed.

You have the core of it but you need to smooth it out a little, AB; your phrasing can sound a bit stilted and lacking in flow. But you are playing a 'written' version of an improvised line so you have set yourself a real battle. I bet you would sound better if you just 'played' the track with some other musicians and not alongside a recording. But good work and time well spent (my favourite LP also). Keep at it.

[quote name='lonestar' timestamp='1323730748' post='1466448']
I love Jaco's stuff on Hejira
[/quote]

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1323734572' post='1466499']
I agree with the comment on Hejira.[/quote]

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1323894749' post='1468535']
(my favourite LP also).
[/quote]

Isn't this off [i]The Hissing Of Summer Lawns[/i]?

According to [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hissing_of_Summer_Lawns"]Wiki[/url], it was [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Bennett_%28musician%29"]Max Bennett[/url] playing bass on this track - Wilton Felder plays on a couple of others.

Edited by Earbrass

[quote name='lonestar' timestamp='1323944431' post='1468876']
and I think that Wilton Felder [b](Crusaders trumpet player)[/b] played bass on some of this album but not necessarily on this track. He also played the lovely part on Jackson 5's I want you back but I digress.
[/quote]

You are correct in that Wilton Felder did play an Instrument that is blown...................
But in fact it is the Saxophone, and to be more precise - Tenor. :)

Garry

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1323949526' post='1468972']
Actually, if you want to be picky, the version being played is the one off Shadows and Light with Jaco, Pat Metheny on guitar, Lyle Mays (kyb), Don Alias (dr) and Mike Brecker.
[/quote]

Yep - and if anyone is confused, the audience participation on the intro kinda gives it away.

[quote name='merello' timestamp='1323894822' post='1468538']
The song that got me into Joni and Jaco. Really well done! What bass is it? Looks like the bastard offspring of a Jazz and a MusicMan! EDIT: Just noticed! MM - excellent!
[/quote]

Yes Merello, I first came across this tune in about 2006 when a dude on Youtube called 'GuyCee' played it. He was a flawless bass player on Youtube and one day decided to pull his channel as he didn't want to feel like a "Jaco record player". I never did find him again after that. After that I was hooked on Jaco and Joni. And yes, my MM5 ... She's my baby. And a lovely transparent purple too! Bought her on here a couple summers back.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1323894749' post='1468535']
You have the core of it but you need to smooth it out a little, AB; your phrasing can sound a bit stilted and lacking in flow. But you are playing a 'written' version of an improvised line so you have set yourself a real battle. I bet you would sound better if you just 'played' the track with some other musicians and not alongside a recording. But good work and time well spent (my favourite LP also). Keep at it.
[/quote]

Bilbo - Thanks for your comments. You kind of wound my neck back in after Daddy's major compliments. There is a lot needing ironed out. I think once I eventually LEARN the piece rather than just reading it, it should sink in 10x more and I can make it my own more. It definitely needs ironed. I was excited about being able to play it start to finish without f***ing it so thought I'd post a wee video but maybe I'll remake it when it's 10x tighter ... But more relaxed ;)

And yes guys, this is off of Joni's live album "Shadows and Light". The work on it is phenomenal. The whole band just HAS it throughout. Go out and buy it. It's a must.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1323949526' post='1468972']
Actually, if you want to be picky, the version being played is the one off Shadows and Light with Jaco, Pat Metheny on guitar, Lyle Mays (kyb), Don Alias (dr) and Mike Brecker.
[/quote]

Oops! I probably should have watched the video before posting. :lol: