Why become a member? ×

squire p-bass wiring upgrade

Guest Al von-twizlewinkle

Be advised, replacing wire and pots isn't an upgrade... unless something is broke.
There are those who will be adamant that they can hear the difference... maybe you will be one of the lucky ones? :)
Capacitors on the other hand will play a part. 0.047 caps are nice in a bass but if you want to bleed off less highs go for something with a smaller value. Again, the cap has no tonal effect (re "upgrade") in the full treble position.

Toneriders are ok but not much better than any other low end pup. Wizards are supposed to be a decent upgrade.. again I personally find them a little samey (not a popular thing to say on BC). If you really want to hear the difference it would be worth saving up a little extra and getting second hand expensive jobs Fralins, Delanos etc... my current favourite P pup is the DiMarzio.

Edited by Ou7shined

It's up to you.

Pinched off the web for quickness...

[quote]
[size=4]Audio and Linear taper pots have the same total resistance but differ in which position of rotation the pot will reach the 50% value. Linear pots are usually marked with a B or Lin (examples 250KB, B250K, 250K Lin) and will reach 50% of its total resistance in the 50% rotation point. Audio taper pots are usually marked with an A or Aud (examples 500KA, A500K 500K Aud) and will decrease most of the resistance in the last 50% of the rotation. This can give a more gradual audio reduction is some cases. [b]Some manufactures like Fender use Audio taper pots for both volume and tone controls. Gibson on the other hand uses linear taper pots for both volume and tone. And still others use Linar taper pots for volume and Audio taper pots for tone. However, if a problem of exists where a volume or tone pot has no effect on the sound, try a changing the taper[/b].[/size][/quote]

I'd be more inclined to get rid of the sellotaped connections and solder them properly, you're not going to achieve an 'upgrade' of any description by just changing the entire wiring loom.

As for the choice of pots, if you are happy with the way your existing pots control sound and volume and want it to work the same way afterwards, you want to stick to the same value pots.

Take a look at the pot casings you already have, there will be a value (i.e. 500K) and taper type (usually expressed as A or :).

500K A = 500K Log
500K B = 500K Lin

HTH

62's? do you mean 64's?, if so those are for a Jazz bass. The pup will make more of a difference than any re wiring. Noting wrong with putting better wires and pots in of course, just that ti wont sound any better although it might be more reliable if you do a decent job on the connections.

The Thumper is a good choice, i have one in my Squier CV and it makes quite a difference over the stock pup. Im not sure what you have but i would say a new pup could make a nice difference.
You can pick a second hand Wizard Trad or Thumper up on here, as well as other brands if you keep an eye out. They dont hang around too long.