Why become a member? ×

I've just fit an Eminence APT80 super tweeter to my cabinet...

StevieD_FenderP2009

As you all probably know (as I go on about them all the time), I use a pair of Marshall JCM 800 bass series cabinets for my live rig but ever since trying out my mates Ampeg SVT410HLF cabinet and an Orange OBC410 which was supplied as back line for a gig, I've been lusting after a tweeter to go in my cabinet as they've always lacked a little bit of top end response.

A lot of people said "get rid of the cabinets and save the hassle of fitting a tweeter" but I'm so glad I didn't listen to them. Admittedly, I did contemplate getting an Orange OBC410 and OBC115 to stack together instead of the Marshalls but I just couldn't part with them. I currently have a 4x12 with a 2x15 as my stack and I got them both at absolute bargain prices. The 4x12 was £250 (alright, it's got one replacement speaker in it) and the 2x15 was... £90! (£115 if you include train fare to go collect it) but yeah, they're easily worth £300/£400 each but I couldn't ever part with them. I nearly bought another matching pair a while back when they came up cheaply on Gumtree (a 4x12 came up for £20 because it had 2 blown speakers. No big deal, I can get speakers easily) but the guy never messaged me back so I assumed it sold.

Anyway, on to why I'm posting this. I ordered an Eminence APT80 super tweeter, Eminence PXB5k0 crossover and Monocor L-Pad (for controlling the level of the tweeter) a couple of weeks ago but because 2 of the items were special order from Germany, they had to wait to get them in before sending them off. I got an email yesterday saying the order had been dispatched and sure enough it arrived this evening so I went out to my garage and fit it all. All that's left to do is to cut the hole for the tweeter to come through now but luckily, there's a perfect gap for it just above the middle cross member wood and just underneath the center of the 2 top speakers. I have tested it all and it sounds so good. I ran my stock Squier VM Jazz (with very dead strings) through my Trace Elliot into the cabinet (none of my usual effects in the loop this time) and it really did add a lot of sparkle to the tone. Made the strings on the Jazz sound new too! Compared it with the tweeter off, then half way and finally fully on. I wouldn't run it on full all the time though because I've heard that can burn out the tweeter or the crossover.

After doing this once, I'd quite happily do it again. I was thinking about adding one to the 2x15 but it sounds good as it is supplying more of the bottom end than the 4x12. Still has quite tight sounding highs for a set of 15"s as well. If I do ever decide to go OTT and buy a matching stack, I would definitely do the same modification to it. I know I've probably destroyed the value of the cabinet but I don't care. I'm not planning on ever selling them because I love using them too much. To me, I've improved the cabinet :) Now I can't wait to get my band gigging again and get these out there. Especially once I've got my rig completed. Only need 3 or 4 units to finish it now!

Over and out
Stevie.D