Why become a member? ×

So I met a blues player today..

kevbass

Hello all,

This week Im in San Francisco and whilst walking along fishermans wharf I heard a blues duo playing in the street, session players and playing very well I might add, now unsuprisingly the first thing my ears tuned to was the bass player, the sound was really full and warm yet retained enough mids to bark and growl and without seeing the bass player at this point I thought to myself "thats a stingray"

Well, it wasnt, when I saw the bassist he was playing one of these

Now I was really supprised at the quality of sound this put out, its an Ibanez srx390. when they finished playing, I approached him and asked him about the bass, telling him how impressed I was with the sound. I asked him what model it was and his response was this "Man I dont know what model it is or whatever I just pick em up and play em" and I thought to myself, considering how good this guy was, that this was an attitude towards bass playing that had really paid off for the guy, not fussy about brand names or anything. He said he payed about $250 for the bass.

He went on to tell me that his faviroute bass was a new Squier vintage modified bass with active pickups in it. He said it growled more than the ibanez he was playing. I told him that without seeing his bass I thought the sound was coming from a stingray. He said to me and I quote "Man f**k all that thousand dollar bass b*llsh*t you dont need it" and went on to say that the bass he played for 20 odd years was an old yamaha he picked up for about 50 dollars.

I have to say meeting this guy and listening to his views on expensive basses being un nessecary and his pick up and play attitude was pretty refreshing, instead of the whole keep buying and trying different brands trap that I myself had once fallen into.

He also offered to sell me that Ibanez due to the fact he only played it occasionally instead of his squire and if I wasnt already pulling around 2 cases with me and had I been flying home that week I would of bought it.

I simply can't afford to keep changing my gear or buying expensive bases - that and I'd be in BIG trouble! My main bass is a cheap Aria, but does what I need it to do, and I've had my Ohm GA140 for about 15 years. Having the POD XTL I can pretty much model the sounds I need. The only thing I would change my amp for - and following some discussions with people who've had similar experiences at the Bass Bash - it's a bit heavy to get in and out of the car and I've had back problems before, so I'm wondering about a separate head and cab now but purely because of that. And I like the sound from the 15" driver.

Not that I don't [i][b]WANT[/b][/i] a dozen £2000 basses and a couple of 6' rigs, mind! My GAS list extends to Warwicks, Rickenbackers, and so forth and Trace Elliot amps and cabs just for starters. Surprised that the POD doesn't model Trace Elliots, thinking about it.

There are different views to this sort of thing and they are all valid. I see where he's coming from, but GAS can be fun if you can afford it occasionally, and I always find that a new aquisition always spurs my playing on, whatever instrument it is.

I saw a blues band in Fisherman's Wharf once who were playing old Fenders through old tweed amps.

They were one of the best blues bands I've ever heard, if not THE best.

It just goes to show... it matters not what you play as long as you like it.

Here they are: