Why become a member? ×

peavey mark4 head and 1810 cab

concord1

Hi, could anyone advise me please, i have peavey mark4 head and 1810 cab made around 1983 I think.

Can I run two cables from the amp head to the cab to get a full 410 watts from head, as I believe one line out gives 200 watts only. i have also heard a Y cable can be used to get full power. Would this affect the crossover on the head to control the cab. Please excuse my ignorance but I'm lost with relationship of Ohms, watts and RMs ETC.

I only use this set up for practice. Its so heavy to gig with.

Steve

Your amp output is directly related to the impedance (aka ohms or Ω) of the speakers you connect to it .

Your amp will give you 200W if you run into an 8Ω load (cabinet).
It will give you 410W if it can see a 4Ω load.

To get 410W you need to run your amp into two [u]seperate[/u] 8Ω cabinets (two 8Ω cabinets will give you a 4Ω load).
You can't use a splitter cable to feed both outputs of the amp into a single 8Ω cabinet as your amplifier will just see an 8Ω cabinet.

I think the peavey mark IV 400 delivers 410 watts into a 2 ohm load, which is equivalent to two 4 ohm cabinets in parallel (or four 8 ohm cabinets for complete aural annihilation).

You'll get about 200 watts into a 4 ohm load, and about 120 or so into a single 8 ohm cab.

Edited by razze06

[quote name='razze06' timestamp='1325769332' post='1487336']
I think the peavey mark IV 400 delivers 410 watts into a 2 ohm load, which is equivalent to two 4 ohm cabinets in parallel (or four 8 ohm cabinets for complete aural annihilation).

You'll get about 200 watts into a 4 ohm load, and about 120 or so into a single 8 ohm cab.
[/quote]

You could be right - I didn't check the spec of the amp, I just took Steve's description of it and extrapolated from there.

Steve - you need to halve those maximum output figures if your amp is 410W into 2Ω.
Still plenty big enough for most gigs so will make a more than adequate practice rig. :)

[quote name='concord1' timestamp='1325856612' post='1488811']
Thanks, I run it through the peavey 1810 cab and only use it for practice. I gig with ashdown mag 2 evo 210 and 15 cab. Not been happy with it and it struggles volume wise especially without cab. Waiting delivery of hartke lh500 and 4 x 10 xl cab.
[/quote]

It struggles volume wise? Are you sure you're not connecting it wrong? The cab could have a biamp input (separate inputs for high and low frequency signal), are you sure you're not plugged into that? (See this: [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=195290&d=1294928004"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=195290&d=1294928004[/url] )

It can't be the amp if it's in good nick. I use mine sparingly because it tends to get insanely loud for practice.

Or add this cab!!!
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/163279-peavey-1820-bass-cab-118-210-l100-or-to-include-peavey-mk-vi-400w-head-l175/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/163279-peavey-1820-bass-cab-118-210-l100-or-to-include-peavey-mk-vi-400w-head-l175/[/url]
= HUGE peavey rig!Ludicrous, immense and utterly brilliant.
(shameless plug)

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]razze06, sorry the Peavey is loud enough for practice, its the [/color][/font][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]ashdown mag 2 evo 210 that struggles volume wise. I connect the peavey into the full range connection on the Cab too. cheers.[/size][/font][/color]