Why become a member? ×

MM Stingray 5 delivered today

EmmettC

I bought a Stingray 5 off HazBeen and it was delivered from Holland today, and so far so great!

It's natural, with a black scratchplate and Nordstram Pup and JohnEast preamp. All the original electronics were included too. I'll be honest, a Stingray 5 H, was only third on my list of basses I wanted, after a G&L L2500 and a Stingray 5 HH. I think it was a good deal though, and I plan on making it even more to my taste, first off I'd like to paint it, and remove the scratchplate and fit a metal cover over the electronics cavity, a little like the Stingray 4. This should be managable easily enough, and reversable, but I'd really like to fit a second pickup, like the HH models. Is this possible? would I need a different preamp or is it possible to wire them up on the current preamp with a switch or plend pot?

I'll post some pics tomorrw, but I'm heading out to the practise room to play it through my SWR rig back to back with my Tribby G&L before the rest of the band show up and make it impossible to compare them properly.

Now all I need is an American L2500, and an EBS rig and my GAS will be expelled. Oh and maybe a Jazz. And a decent compressor. And an SWR baby blue. And and and.................

AFAIK, the pre-amps are the same. The difference is in the switch. The HH doesn't have a blend control, it has a five way switch instead of the three way. How much hassle it is depends on how your bass is wired up now I suppose.

Any decent luther should be able to add the second pickup.