Why become a member? ×

best way to reshape a headstock?

mojobass

recently got hold of a nice johson Pbass neck, and seeing as their headstocks are quite ugly, ive found a template for a tele style P bass headstock which 'just' fits within the current headstock length and shape, but...

whats the best way to do it? i dont really want to attack it with my jigsaw, i'm guessing a coping saw is best? then just simply sanding it to exact required shape?

To be honest, you could probably use a coping saw and then as long as it was sanded smooth, its all good. However, as long as you use enough glue and clamp it appropriately, you can make what ever shape you want.

I turned this:

Into this:

Into this:

Using nothing more than some wood, titebond, some clamps, sandpaper and a wood veneer from ebay. It may be something to think about if you dont really want a tele shape, but only chose it because it fits.

Edited by tommorichards

[quote name='mojobass' timestamp='1325788274' post='1487792']
recently got hold of a nice johson Pbass neck, and seeing as their headstocks are quite ugly, ive found a template for a tele style P bass headstock which 'just' fits within the current headstock length and shape, but...
[/quote]

If its like this one [IMG]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b69/Incarante/bassneckebay25112011005.jpg[/IMG]

don't see that it will fit into a telebass headstock, I've got a couple of tele bass headstocks and overlayed them. Is there a different headstock, with the same chunky profile?

I reshaped the head on my Harley Benton Acoutic. If its all taking off theres little problem. I used a round and half round rasp. The advantage of this is you are taking a little off at a time rather than cutting it all as with a saw. Then use sand paper wrapped around a tube on the concave bits to get a good finish etc.

A