Why become a member? ×

Help on buying a new rig please

Ruck

Right after somehow blowing up or somehow buying three defective second-hand cabs in a row without realising I've vowed never to buy a second-hand cab again if I can help it. Every second-hand head Ive bought has been fine however. But now is my chance to finally spend around £1000 on a rig I can be happy with.

Im mostly a experimental rock player with a smidgen of funk plus I play alot of rock/pop/80's/60's/50's my covers band. I have a boat load of effects from distortions, overdrives, synths and bit crushers. So i guess you can say I love the modern punchy sound but I also appreciate the vintage warm sound when it is needed.

I need an amp that loves it when I dig in hard on the strings and can also handle effects well. Also It doesnt matter too much if the amp is too modern sounding as I use a DHA VT2 to warm things up.

So far I am quite keen on the Gallien Krueger 1001RB but yet to decide on the best cab configuration and cab models. I do love Markbass and Ampeg but I dont see an affordable rig for under a grand. Im a fan of 10's 12's and 15's speakers, I like the different sounds from all of them just as long as I can hear myself on stage but I cant fit a 8x10 in my car... So basically the usual needs of a bass player on a budget...

Any suggestions would be appreciated thanks.

[sub]3 defective Sh cabs..?? that sounds very unlucky.[/sub]

[sub]I would suggest minimum cab config be 2x112..or a 212 which will be cheaper, I think but less portable in term of car space and carry.[/sub]
[sub]I don't think 12's are the definitive chassis by any stretch but from your price point, I'd start looking there.[/sub]

[sub]Also, £1000 for SH is realistic for a powerful all purpose rig...but not from new, IMO.[/sub]

Well the GK MB500 I have is very powerful, so if the 1001RB is as powerful as its wattage suggests (and GK have a reputation for being true to their word in this respect) putting that with one of the Neo 212s (8 ohms) would be a nice rig to start with, then get another 212 if needed later on. And being Neos, they`re fairly light to lug around too.

Edit - if you like Ampeg, the PF500 is a nice amp, and the matching cabs sound great, however I don`t think a single one of these would be enough as a standalone - however it always depends on your needs. Definately worth a look.

Saying all that though, as you mentioned Markbass, I`ve seen many a band where the bassist is using a solitary Markbass combo, and it has always sounded great - am sure for a grand you could find one of those somewhere.

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1326656671' post='1500088']
[sub]Also, £1000 for SH is realistic for a powerful all purpose rig...but not from new, IMO.[/sub]
[/quote]

£1000 unrealistic for a rig from new? Can't say I agree on that but obviously opinions and requirements differ massively.

Ruck - best of luck finding a rig that suits.

Thankyou everybody. Im a big fan of Markbass, I love the flat sound of the Little Marks but im not a fan of the EQ and contour filter. So I thought I'd try out Gallien Krueger for a change as the 1001RB is a similar price to the LMIII, hopefully it has a more suitable contour and the presence and boost settings seem like they'd be useful. Im going to try the 1001RB and 2x12 NEO combo tomorrow hopefully it shifts enough air and I can hear most of the frequencies when Im standing next to it.