Why become a member? ×

Slab bodied basses and dangle-angle...

solo4652

I use floating thumb technique. For best results, you need to push your right elbow forward, which is tiring. I've noticed that my Ibanez Blazer (slab bodied - no contouring) sits on my right hip rather than across my belly and this brings my right hand closer to my body, largely doing away withn the need to push my right elbow outwards. Having the bass swung round to my right also swings my left hand round to be a little more in front of me, which I like.

I'm wondering whether this more comfortable playing position is to do with the Blazer being slab bodied? If so, I'd be interested in looking for other (slab) basses that naturally sit swung round to my right.

Any thoughts, please?

Steve

Hmm, now you mention it my Blazer also seems to gravitate to the right a little too. Further thinking on the subject reminds me of how my old 54' Precision (MIJ Sting RI model) also did that too, so maybe look into the '51 and '54 RIs they're excellent basses and if you're prepared to spend another £50 you can upgrade the pickup to a delano or Seymour Duncan jobbie that IMO sound much more versatile and crisp.

Truckstop

Ps, aren't Blazers just awesome? How do people spend all that money on MIM Fenders when you can pick up a Blazer for around £150?!

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1326796448' post='1501959']
Hmm, now you mention it my Blazer also seems to gravitate to the right a little too. Further thinking on the subject reminds me of how my old 54' Precision (MIJ Sting RI model) also did that too, so maybe look into the '51 and '54 RIs they're excellent basses and if you're prepared to spend another £50 you can upgrade the pickup to a delano or Seymour Duncan jobbie that IMO sound much more versatile and crisp.

Truckstop

Ps, aren't Blazers just awesome? How do people spend all that money on MIM Fenders when you can pick up a Blazer for around £150?!
[/quote]

Interesting that you report that not only the Blazer but also the 51 reissue and the Sting swing to the right. I wondered whether it was simply to do with the weight distribution and strap button placing of the Blazer, but perhaps not - maybe slab bodies in general tend to do this? I've been looking at used 51 reissues and also the Lakland 44-51 as possible replacements for my Fender P. Anything else I should be considering?

More and more I'm choosing my Blazer over my Fender P (Blazer's more comfy and cut's through a little better) and over my expensive USA G&L ([i]very[/i] rich tone). Only slight problem with my Blazer is it's Candy Apple Red - not my favourite colour. Finding half-decent Blazer's for £150 is now becoming more difficult, dammit.

Steve

Oooh, I've never seen a blazer in anything other than Natural! Refinish? Any pictures at all?

Anyway, thinking about it now, I think it's because I have a little gut on me that makes slab bodied guitars swing to the right. If you dont mind me asking, do you have a bit of a belly too? If so, then that could be the reason why! On everyone else they might sit perfectly!

Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1326799654' post='1502018']
Oooh, I've never seen a blazer in anything other than Natural! Refinish? Any pictures at all?

Anyway, thinking about it now, I think it's because I have a little gut on me that makes slab bodied guitars swing to the right. If you dont mind me asking, do you have a bit of a belly too? If so, then that could be the reason why! On everyone else they might sit perfectly!

Truckstop
[/quote]

Here's my CAR Blazer

[attachment=97553:023.JPG]

Neither my Fender P or G&L swing to the right. perhaps I could stuff a small cushion down my shirt when playing them! It'll be interesting to hear what other people's experience is.