Why become a member? ×

Footprints

lobematt

Yo!

I'm looking at Footprints at the min but I'm not sure how to tackle the bass part partly as its the first jazz tune I've tried in 6/8! Also the bass on the version from Adams Apple seems to go in and out of a bass riff.

I was just wondering how other bassists here approach the song? And when you're walking would you pretty much treat it as you would any other tune but with an extra 2 beats per bar?

Thanks!

The wonderful thing about Footprints is that it allows for all sorts of clever rhythmic tricks. It is essentially in 3:4 but you can think of it as 6:8 or 6:4 or 3 against 4. Because of this, as the tune progresses, you can take it through all of the above and change it quite easily into a slow 4 by playing first in 3:4 then in 6:4 before playing 4 against 6 then turning that 4 into the main pulse, a slow walk, then double that time feel into a double time walk or fast Samba and then playing the main riff as 3 against 4 before returning to the original riff.

[quote name='lobematt' timestamp='1326810284' post='1502208']
Yo!

I'm looking at Footprints at the min but I'm not sure how to tackle the bass part partly as its the first jazz tune I've tried in 6/8! Also the bass on the version from Adams Apple seems to go in and out of a bass riff.

I was just wondering how other bassists here approach the song? And when you're walking would you pretty much treat it as you would any other tune but with an extra 2 beats per bar?

Thanks!
[/quote]

My trio plays this in Gm. In addition to what Bilbo said, the Gm and Cm scales (in our case, at least) offer lots of great big fat notes in Eb and Bb (especially Bb). It's a pleasure to play. It's a tune that takes to being played freely, I think.