Why become a member? ×

Hartke Kickback 112

Dave Vader

Anybody out there using one of these regularly? I am looking at getting a smaller rig, and this looks right up my street. However, I noticed it doesn't have a gain setting at the front end, and being a guy with loud basses and loud fingers, my GK has struggled with not distorting over the years, as it's input level doesn't work like a normal gain level would.
Would the one volumed Kickback work alright with my thunderous fingers? Or am I just going to have to go and try one in a shop before I hit up people for second hand ones?

Also, any cheaper and possibly better options out there that I don't know about?

I am currently using the 150 watt 1 X 15 version.
All depends. They are good for positioning around your feet because of their small physical size, and angling back. is a great advantage.

restrictions are the single volume, and no D.I out. the tone shaper is ok

. If your band want you to use smaller/lighter gear and you can D.I through your P.A/monitor system, I would say they are...ok.

However beware! If you push the volume too far it can fart/honk. It can be loud enough, but if you have the tone shaper set to a middly tone...honk!

And I am talking about the bigger speaker than you are looking at. Try one in a live situation of you can.
I borrowed this one with a view to buying it, but I am going to pass.

They have one of these at one of the many Acoustic Clubs that I frequent on a regular basis.

I spent the best part of 4 months faffing around with the thing to make it sound even remotely adequate until finally giving up with it in November.
I felt that I'd given it enough of a chance and was quite justified in being 'prima donnaish' about refusing to play there unless I could use my own amplification in future (which was agreed without any discussion or argument).

It was responsive enough but tonewise it just didn't work for me - everything just sounded muddy and flat.

One of the reasons why I perservered with it for so long was that I've used Hartke gear before (and still do for practices) and it's never been a major problem.
I still like Hartke gear but the Kickback 112 gets a big thumbs down from me I'm afraid.

Just bought a kickback 10 and so far I absolutely love it. I really like the sound it makes with my Fender Jazz. No problems matching my drummer for volume, it is tiny and the tone shaping is pretty intuitive amd gives a good range of sounds. Gives a nice acoustic bass sound in one position. The kickback feature means you really get to hear what you are playing which takes some getting used to. I've kept my Ashdown/custom 2x10 for bigger gigs but the Hartke has become the 'go to' amplification. The rest of the band like the bass sound too.

A bass playing friend has gone out and bought the 112 after trying my 10.