Why become a member? ×

Clear pickguard materials?

TRBboy

Hey everybody.

I want a clear pickguard for one of my Sandbergs, but I fancy having a go at making one to save a few quid (£29 from Sandberg).

My question is what should I use? I know that polycarbonate is about the toughest and most scratch resistant material, but I don't know how easy it is to work. I know that acrylic is relatively easy to work, but I don't know how well it will resist scratches.

Can anyone offer any advice? (BUY ONE YOU TIGHTA$%E! I know.....)

Hi mate - Dont know the answer so will probably get shot down in flames (as usuall) - I would go for the toughest material you can find. Typically the harder it is the better it will finish ie you can polish the cut edges bettter with a harder material. But certainly make DONT buy one - wher's the fun in that?? Then you can make a neck for it, then a body.....

[quote name='nugget' timestamp='1326903242' post='1503492']
Hi mate - Dont know the answer so will probably get shot down in flames (as usuall) - I would go for the toughest material you can find. Typically the harder it is the better it will finish ie you can polish the cut edges bettter with a harder material. But certainly make DONT buy one - wher's the fun in that?? Then you can make a neck for it, then a body.....
[/quote]

Ha ha! Thanks Dave. From what I've found out today, it looks like polycarbonate is the toughest, but acrylic is the hardest. Although this means that Acrylic will resist scratches better, it's also more likely to break whilst drilling/cutting, etc. I think I'm probably gonna go for polycarbonate. It's only 2.99 for a piece anyway, so no great shakes if it's a disaster!