Why become a member? ×

Power Brake/Hotplate etc

Finbar

Just been looking at stuff like the Marshall Power Brake and the THD Hotplate, and I must say I'm quite interested.

I run an all valve head that is FAR too big for what I use it for really... :) But rather than downsize, I'd like to just be a stubborn fool and see about going down this road!

Anyway, basically are these attenuators worthwhile? I'd love to be able to run the amp flat out and get the best out of it at lower volumes. My amp is only 2 or 4 ohms, and I don't think the Marshall Power Brake even goes that low, but the 4 ohm Hotplate would work fine. I'm aware of the fact that higher volume means higher valve wear, but other than this is there anything 9good or bad) I should know about these attentuators?

Remember these devices were designed for use with guitar amps, so check that the Hotplate can cope with your bass amp running full-tilt into it. I use the PowerBrake in my guitar set up and it's invaluable but it's only rated up to 100W and I'm using it with a 50W amp. Also so extreme phased and flanged sounds cause the fan on mine to go into overdrive...

The guitarist in one of my bands uses a THD Hotplate. He plays a Marshall 100 valve amp at full whack (to get the sound, he says!!) and has to take the signal to the cab down to a manageable level. It's usually a guitarist's toy and it was expensive, nearly £300, so I think you'd be better off getting a smaller amp.

Why downsize at all? I still don't understand the question.

Guitarists use the Power Brake or Hotplate when they want the amp to overdrive and distort at lower volumes. Unless you want an overdriven or distorted tone at all times at a lower volume, just turn the volume knob down.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='169762' date='Apr 4 2008, 01:18 PM']Just use a much smaller and less sensitive cab.

Alex[/quote]

I'll be you didnt wake up this morning thinking "hmm yes, today i shall advise someone to use less efficient speakers!" heh.