Why become a member? ×

Hi from Liverpool!

SlapbassSteve

Hi all,

I'm a second-year music student at Hope University in Liverpool, but originally from Sussex and then Shropshire. I've been playing about four years now and haven't been able to put a bass down since I started. First bass was an awful Boston Precision thing that I had to completely set up to make playable- shim neck, adjust truss rod, lower action etc, great initiation for a beginner. Spent the first year or so practising roughly six hours a day, couple of years later got three marks off a distinction at the Grade 8 RGT bass exam. Since then I've mostly used jazz basses for rock and funk/disco, although I'm partial to the occasional flirtation with an active MM copy, six-string or similar. Current gear as follows, in no particular order-
'02 Fender MIM Jazz(w Badass MkII bridge)
'08/9 Fender MIM Precision(w hipshot detuner + gotoh bridge)
Squier VM 3TS Jazz (w passive varitone control plate)
Squier Standard Jazz
Hohner 'The Jack' headless Status look-alike
'64 Egmond Princess
Yamaha RBX374
Wesley Nimrod (flying V)
Westfield Stingray copy
'74(ish...) Hondo II(probably) Rickenbacker, stereo outputs. Had to basically rebuild it from scratch after it's (mental?) previous owner painted it black(strings, frets, hardware, everything...) and to date I've re-wired it four and-a-half times...

Currently I mostly play rock with a covers band in and around Liverpool, but left to my own devices I'm happier with some Chic, Sun, Level 42, RHCP, Primus, Jaco etc. Bit of a cliche these days but anything funky. Also dabble in the odd bit of metal. Been with more bands then I care to mention, and been in that awful 'now let's just wait for the right people to hear us' situation enough times to know that the most realistic way to make a living from bass is with the function circuit.

For some recordings of me playing the VM Squier through a Fender Bassman half-stack, check out my last 'serious' band's Myspace.

Steve