Why become a member? ×

preamp

jimmybass04

hi there im lookin at poss buying a fishman platinum for use with my upright and also for using with my accoustic bass guitar. iv got a realist on my upright, and a k k on the accoustic bass.
iv currently got a dave hall d.i. e.q. that i use with them.
will the fishman make a huge difference to my sound , iv read a lot of great reviews about it.
any added info would be great, cheers, jimmy.

Very DB-friendly - phase switch etc - and easy slider EQ. Its the industry standard preamp for DB for good reason. There are other good ones - Headway, LR Baggs etc but depends on how much you want to pay and what functionality you need. I like having a mute-able tuner in my preamp so I use the LR Baggs Venue DI but its quite a bit more pricey than the Fishman. http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~L.R.-Baggs-Venue-DI~ID~13224.asp

I use my Fishman or Fdeck on every gig as a matter of course. Strange thing is I had a DB mate come to see me in the week to play with some of the toys and in my room we almost came to the conclusion that the amps sounded OK without a preamp on the front. But I know that when I set up for a gig it'll be an entirely different story. Bigger room, more volume, boomy stage - all that stuff.

Depends a lot on what amp you've got, though. I gave up using a preamp in front of my EA Doubler. Didn't make any useful difference to the sound, and it was one more piece of kit to set up. I carry a Dave Hall DI/EQ in case of amp failure.

btw, it might be worth comparing the DHA with a Fishman. Apart from the notch filter, I didn't find the DHA any worse - it's a very good EQ and DI, and it's much cheaper than the Fishman. How do you find yours?

Edited by fatback

i dont know man, sometimes i think we all (myself included) get caught up in the gear thing.
i like everybody else is always lookin to improve my sound, maybe iv already got my sound but cant hear it........
theres so much stuff out there , i suppose its all good and like the man says, just find something that works for you.....

Believe it or not, I use an MXR M-80 a lot of the time for DB. I've used DHA-DI-Eq which is nice too, Sadowsky and an Art Tube MP but the MXR seems to get the best tone for my bass, recording and live. We're not overly loud and usually run either with a very low volume backline or none at all.

I have the Fishman and it really helped me control my sound at higher (gig) volumes. No feedback and a useful eq. Comments from other musicians are positive so I can concentrate on my playing and not fret about whether the sound of the gear is fit for purpose.