Why become a member? ×

Difference in sound change between hi and lo mids

jackers

Hey all,

I have been playing with the eq on my Ashdown MiBass, and I've been trying to boost the mids to get a sound that cuts through in a band setting, but I've never had an amp with separated hi and lo mids before, so I was wondering what I would need to do to cut through. I currently have the hi mids boosted slightly, and the lo mids cut slightly. Any suggestions, or have I got the right idea?

Cheers

I'd suggest when playing with the frequencies on the EQ that you start with all shape/deep controls switched out, to give you a better idea of what each one does in isolation. Really cranking up one of the mids and then sweeping as Mr Foxen says, lets you identify both desirable and undesirable freqs more easily. Use extreme settings to identify these things but much less once you know where they are...it's easy to over-EQ a sound!

IME a good 'generic' EQ for a jazz bass is a little boost around 100-200Hz for extra solidity, a slight cut the octave or so above (250-500Hz) to remove boominess, and then a boost around 2-3kHz for some extra grind to go with your bump. Incidentally I suspect the J retro pre has a similar 'natural' contour to this, which tends to accentuate the natural character of a jazz with both pups on full. Whether you like this or not is up to you!

Edited by LawrenceH