Why become a member? ×

Why did I not do this sooner?

Moos3h

Mine just got here, i ordered it before this thread was even started.

Got a show tomorrow night with it so i'll report back.

From home use, taken the grill off my ebs112 and used with and without and there is definitely a difference in cone movement. Sonically, i can't really tell at these volumes so surely thats a good thing right?

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1328652761' post='1530833']
I just had a thought, is this similar to what the tc rh450 does?
[/quote]

No, completely different. The thumpinator is a low pass filter (I understand), whereas the RH amps perform compression or some other related trickery to make their amps sound a bit louder when they are pushed.

[quote name='aldude' timestamp='1328790477' post='1532628']
No, completely different. The thumpinator is a low pass filter (I understand), whereas the RH amps perform compression or some other related trickery to make their amps sound a bit louder when they are pushed.
[/quote]

The thumpinators a high pass filter, or a low cut filter.

AFAIK the rh450 has a low pass filter to remove all the zinginess & to get a more vintage sound. Not entirely sure about the compression thing.

[quote name='aldude' timestamp='1328790477' post='1532628']
[/quote]

Is it not a high pass filter but with a very LF cut-off?

Sorry must have been typing at the same time as JakeBrownBass

Edited by ead

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1328790671' post='1532635']
The thumpinators a high pass filter, or a low cut filter.

AFAIK the rh450 has a low pass filter to remove all the zinginess & to get a more vintage sound. Not entirely sure about the compression thing.
[/quote]

Oh yeah whoops, the thumpinator does have a high pass filter!

• 3 weeks later...

A further revival for this thread.

I had five Basschatters in my studio/garage on Saturday. Just after Clarky left, silddx asked about the Barefaced Midget so we ran his Warwick (the all-chrome one, which is bloody nice BTW) through a GK MB500 into the Midget, with which he was suitably impressed. He played with the settings on the MB500 to take the cab as close to the edge as he could - that Midget will cope with a staggering amount of abuse. :lol:

Then he said "[i]What about the Thumpinator?[/i]".

So we ran his Warwick through the Thumpinator and into the GK500.

The difference was really obvious. His sound was instantly tighter and clearer, and the Midget (which is a truly superb cab) went from being on the brink of farting out to being completely relaxed, with loads of headroom, and far less visible motion in the speaker.

That's using a 4-string (so no Low B to consider) and with a 500W amp pushing pretty bloody hard.

I tried (of course) doing A/B tests by myself when I first got the Thumpinator, but there's no doubt in my mind that being able to just stand there and listen to someone else play made it far easier to hear what was going on.

I knew I sounded better when my board had the Thumpinator in place. Now I have a better idea of just how much better.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1330357051' post='1556110']
A further revival for this thread.

I had five Basschatters in my studio/garage on Saturday. Just after Clarky left, silddx asked about the Barefaced Midget so we ran his Warwick (the all-chrome one, which is bloody nice BTW) through a GK MB500 into the Midget, with which he was suitably impressed. He played with the settings on the MB500 to take the cab as close to the edge as he could - that Midget will cope with a staggering amount of abuse. :lol:

Then he said "[i]What about the Thumpinator?[/i]".

So we ran his Warwick through the Thumpinator and into the GK500.

The difference was really obvious. His sound was instantly tighter and clearer, and the Midget (which is a truly superb cab) went from being on the brink of farting out to being completely relaxed, with loads of headroom, and far less visible motion in the speaker.

That's using a 4-string (so no Low B to consider) and with a 500W amp pushing pretty bloody hard.

I tried (of course) doing A/B tests by myself when I first got the Thumpinator, but there's no doubt in my mind that being able to just stand there and listen to someone else play made it far easier to hear what was going on.

I knew I sounded better when my board had the Thumpinator in place. Now I have a better idea of just how much better.
[/quote]

Thanks for your hospitality on Saturday Jack, really appreciate it!

And huge thanks for letting me try to destroy your BF Midget :D What a piece of kit! And the Thumpinator is also a great bit of kit, really works! I shall be ordering one soonish.

I think at some point I will be getting a mini-rig, and it will be a Midget (maybe a Compact) and a poweramp to run the POD X3 LIVE through.

Thanks again mate!

EDIT: I haven't forgotten that bloody 5-string Wal either. I can't stand 5ers or Wals, and now I want a 5-string Wal! I'm becoming confused and need to lie down in a darkened room for a while :)

Edited by silddx

I've thoroughly enjoyed this thread, thanks one and all.

Thoughts:-

The thumpinator is tidying up the unnessecary stuff that you cant hear and just uses up headroom, a 4 string version clearly isnt really necessaqry unless you are trying to absolutely maximise that (cant see why anyone would need to - but someone might)

Berg cabs in the ae series definitely seem ridiculously 'flap-free'. I get no large scale movement in my cones at volume, Plux's HT series cones move more (not enough to be worrying, but enough to really see), so in the event that you have an ae series cab (at least a 210 or 410) you are probably not getting anough extreme LF hitting your cones to make the thumpinator necessary (JB's crossivers are legendary, I wonder if they include something along these lines, and coupled with the HPF in the markbass it solves the issue). However its still going through the preamp up until the point where the MB head has its LPF in so some headroom is wasted for sure.

I would think anyone running a small cab (ie midget or any 112 etc) would get advantages from one of these, and I imagine it could be helpful on db too, if nothing else it would lessen the chances of sub feedback considerably.

The RH450 certainly has an HPF in it, anything to get more useable volume was certainly employed as a part of the preamp cleverness to maximise the apparent output of the amp. That wasn't where the critique came from, so much as the brickwall limiting of the signal to gain apparent volume, trading off punch and transient peak volume for average output - and more importantly claiming a wattage based upon the apparent volume rather than the actual wattage.