Why become a member? ×

can anything be done to fix a backwards bend on my basses neck

stu_g

i have a hohner b2a bass which i have had for a while and have tried setting it up but it appears to have a slight backward
bend in the neck ?the truss rod works but as this is for forward bows in the neck is of no use!
i also have a hohner jack which i set up no probs from that ,is there anything i can do to fix it as now i have the jack i would like to sell the b2a but dont want to palm a dodgy bass off to anyone

Is the truss rod as loose as it'll go? If not, loosen it (initially, no more than a 1/8 to 1/4 turn at most) and it should release the tension in the neck and remove the back bow. If it is as loose as can be adjusted, the bass needs some work :blink:

Edited by walbassist

Slacken the truss rod right off and string tension should pull it forward, if that fails then with no tension on the neck you may need to apply pressure to the neck to bend it into a concave arc and then get the strings up to tension (probably best with the help of a friend). Failing that it is a luthier job to look at resetting the neck, possibly removing the fingerboard... probably not cost effective on a bass such as this! :(

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1327270359' post='1508753']
Is the truss rod as loose as it'll go? If not, loosen it (initially, no more than a 1/8 to 1/4 turn at most) and it should release the tension in the neck and remove the back bow. If it is as loose as can be adjusted, the bass needs some work :blink:
[/quote]

LOL synchronised typing! ;)

The remedy is really dependant on the degree of bow.

If it's not too badly bowed then slackening of the truss rod, sticking a cheapy set of heavy bass strings on it and overtuning it is a good start - given a couple of weeks it'll probably pull itself back into the right shape.

If the bow is very pronounced then you're looking at heating pads, g clamps, blosks of wood and several weeks worth of tensioning the whole assembly every day.