Why become a member? ×

Lakland string/neck/pup alignment

Musicman20

Hi all

I've always liked the design and feel of Lakland basses, and of course the tone is pretty spot on, but this poor string/neck/pup alignment seems very common with their basses.

It's put me off buying one for two years, as every time I like one, I see something similar to this:

[url="http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=12011216450649"]http://www.guitargui...=12011216450649[/url]

Shame...I thought there QC was meant to improve with the takeover.

It might not affect the tone that greatly, but that E string is very very close to the board, and visually it looks wrong.

Edited by Musicman20

It's funny, before their takeover they were famed for their QC, that was what the Skylines were reknowned for, how they justified their price for an "import" bass. Only [i]now[/i] their QC is good? OK :lol:

To be honest, the pic you linked wouldn't worry me. You're never going to hear or notice that the pickup is slightly misaligned in any way other than if you look at it head on. Besides, have you seen how much money 70's Fenders go for these days? QC doesn't matter if it looks good ;)

For what it's worth, I used to have a Korean 55-02 and it was top notch, apart from the home-installed pre-amp upgrade, which the guy soldered in so the battery was always on (on drained out within a couple of weeks).

Edited by Doctor J

It does look like the bridge is slightly over to one side. After all that MIA stuff i dont think i would let the pup bit bother me but im not sure i would be happy with the E string that close.
It might not matter when its played but i would compare it to my cheap Squiers (even the one i've bodged together) and feel it really should be better, no matter how much it cost.
The Silver version looks fine so it does seem to show that there is leway in thier QC.

What are you looking at Laklands Gareth? Not GAS i hope. It could be just that ive not looked at these for a few years but they seem pretty cheap, at least the ones on the first page. Nothing takes my fancy though, thank god.

Edited by dave_bass5