Why become a member? ×

Stringing an upright

Walker

Hello all,
I wondered if anyone can give me any advice on stringing my upright? I've Googled but cant find any detailed info.

Is it similar to a bass guitar? How much excess string should I leave? Should the winding go to the centre or from the centre? All that sort of stuff.

I know you guys have probably been doing this for years, but I would be extremely grateful of any advice, no matter how basic.

Thanks!
Chris

I never cut anything off the end of the string, partly because there's always room on the pegs and partly because bass strings are often made of odd materials and I'm concerned about what they'll do if I chop the end off. Be interested to hear what everybody else does. Not much room for fingers in the peg box I often use the tip of a screwdriver to direct the ends.

The mechanics of it though: Only replace one string at a time - don't take them all off first or you'll have to fight the bridge when re-stringing it (the bridge will pull towards the pegs and you'll have to chop it back upright (I use the spine of a heavy book to give it a thump) keep an eye on the bridge while tensioning the string because if it is pulling it could go over unless you straighten it back up). Also use a pencil to lubricate the bridge and nut slots with graphite before you put a string on, this should help stop the bridge pulling so much and stop the string snagging on the nut.

Edited by thisnameistaken

Thank you all very much indeed for the info and tips. I feel a little foolish not finding those myself - and thank you for the article Sarah, arrived safely in my inbox!

One thing - you mention thumping the bridge with a heavy book - I can move mine quite easily by hand. Is something wrong with my set up?

[quote name='Walker' timestamp='1327665320' post='1514958']One thing - you mention thumping the bridge with a heavy book - I can move mine quite easily by hand. Is something wrong with my set up?[/quote]

I'm surprised you can move it "easily" to be honest, but maybe I'm too soft. ;)

It's not really that you want to move the whole bridge though: When tensioning up strings the top edge of the bridge will sometimes tend to tilt towards the nut because the strings drag it that way. So you'd be trying to move the top of the bridge in relation to the feet, rather than moving the whole thing. Hope that makes sense. If it does happen to you then you'll see what I mean, and for me a tap or three with the spine of a book near the strings was a good solution to get it back perpendicular to the body.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1327701126' post='1515760']
I'm surprised you can move it "easily" to be honest, but maybe I'm too soft. ;)

It's not really that you want to move the whole bridge though: When tensioning up strings the top edge of the bridge will sometimes tend to tilt towards the nut because the strings drag it that way. So you'd be trying to move the top of the bridge in relation to the feet, rather than moving the whole thing. Hope that makes sense. If it does happen to you then you'll see what I mean, and for me a tap or three with the spine of a book near the strings was a good solution to get it back perpendicular to the body.
[/quote]
Am I correct that you do the book thing with the strings up to pitch and then bring them back up to pitch again afterwards and repeat if necessary?

I basically 'correct' the attitude of the bridge while I'm tensioning the string, so if it's not up to pitch yet but the bridge is leaning I'll tap it back into place and continue winding. But to answer your question I suppose you shouldn't wait until the strings are up to pitch because by correcting the bridge you will create more tension and sharpen them a little.

Edit: I should add that I haven't really needed to do this on my current bass since I started changing one string at a time (one off, one on, one off, etc.). It's more of a problem when you're starting from a position of having no strings on the bass or changing the bridge or something.

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1327762338' post='1516399']
I basically 'correct' the attitude of the bridge while I'm tensioning the string, so if it's not up to pitch yet but the bridge is leaning I'll tap it back into place and continue winding. But to answer your question I suppose you shouldn't wait until the strings are up to pitch because by correcting the bridge you will create more tension and sharpen them a little.

Edit: I should add that I haven't really needed to do this on my current bass since I started changing one string at a time (one off, one on, one off, etc.). It's more of a problem when you're starting from a position of having no strings on the bass or changing the bridge or something.
[/quote]
Thanks for that.