Why become a member? ×

MM SUB - continues to impress! (semi random musings)

mcnach

Back in December I found a white MusicMan SUB and I bought it.
I removed the original ugly metal plate and put a white one first, then settled with this black one that I got from a member of this forum.
This is it:

I'm liking it a lot, and to my surprise it's slowly becoming a favourite over my Stingray (in my avatar).
There is not much difference between them, but there is a difference: the SUB seems a bit "meatier".

I have not checked yet whether the pickup (alnico) is wired in series (as expected on 4-string SUBs, it seems) or parallel (as found on my SUB5, and Stingrays). But I suspect series, from the difference between this and the SUB5 and Stingray.

I didn't completely enjoy the 2EQ on my Stingray (got a JE MMSR replacement, with an additional midsweep module), or my SUB5. But I'm ok with that in my SUB. Again, perhaps this is because I find it more suited for the series configuration pickup on the SUB... it could be.

I don't play 5 string a lot, so the SUB5 does not see a lot of action. I use my Stingray all the time. I love it. Versatile, it can do anything I want it to do.
But now the SUB is creeping in, and sometimes I am finding I really like that extra "presence" it has. Not presence as top end, but just fatter, bigger.

No, the SUB does not exactly nail a Stingray sound, although you can tell they are related, and that preamp can give you the tell-tale zing should you want it. It doesn't nail it, but it is a great sound! I will certainly not rewire it to parallel, but it makes me want to add a switch to my Stingray!

Today was day 1 in a new recording period for my band Sea Bass Kid. We are recording with a local guy who obtains pretty good results with a couple of bands we know locally. He likes to record drums, bass and rhythm guitar together in the same room, into a tape recorder whose output is sent simultaneously (well, ms apart) to a digital workstation. I was a bit sceptical, but the truth is it sounds good.
I took two basses:
2002 Stingray, JE 3-band preamp, Fender tapewound strings.
2003 SUB, 2EQ all stock, roundwounds.
I wanted the tapewound sound on 1-2 songs for sure, and the roundwounds of the SUB in another... while the others I was not decided. Leaning towards Stingray and tapewounds initially. I think now it's SUB and roundwounds all the way (except a couple with the 'Ray). It sounds fantastic, and in the recording is huge. Love it love it love it.

I just felt compelled to spread my SUB love... Huge bass. In a very good way.

This isn't helping my stange SUB gas. I have a feeling the newer SBMM range coming this year will not be anywhere near as good as the original ones.

I really want a burgandy sterling version.

The reason why the SUB is so good is that it can be picked up for less than a lot of everything else and it's built in the US from the saem parts as the main line. The 'cost saving' is visible only, it sounds like a bass that should be priced far higher than what it is (even when it was new)

When I had one and a Stingray, there was a definate difference and the lows were a bit bigger I guess, but I found the SUB a bit more open across the frequencies, but I just prefered the ray.