Why become a member? ×

Cabinet Design

frosty55

I think Eminence have some info on their website in terms of cabinet volume and port sizes. Download the PDF.
From there you can work out all the dimensions to suit.
The cabinet design is very much bespoke to the driver you're using and what you want to get out of it.
So a generic 15" cab may exist but it won't necessarily be the best thing for that speaker and may produce unexpected results in terms of frequency response and dB...
Do you realise the can of worms you could be opening with this thread? :)
I'm going to run for cover now.

Well it is an interesting choice of driver with High Q and high Vas it wants a big cab. Win ISD came up with 654l as a first suggestion!

With a 100litre cab tuned to 40 Hz (10.2cm dia 7.81cm port) it shows a big peak in the bass at 100Hz (about 3dB) but quite wide and flat. Combined with this speaker's big midrange peak this is going to have an 'interesting' sound. You might like it.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1328122134' post='1522226']
Well it is an interesting choice of driver with High Q and high Vas it wants a big cab. Win ISD came up with 654l as a first suggestion!

With a 100litre cab tuned to 40 Hz (10.2cm dia 7.81cm port) it shows a big peak in the bass at 100Hz (about 3dB) but quite wide and flat. Combined with this speaker's big midrange peak this is going to have an 'interesting' sound. You might like it.
[/quote]+1. It's an adequate driver for a very low power amp that needs a midbass response peak, 50 watts tops. but that's it.

[quote name='frosty55' timestamp='1328184784' post='1523148']
I was actually looking for dimensions/plan of the cab. Cant calculate from graphs and suchlike. Seems like you need a degree in maths for that. Any other sources you know of?
[/quote]My first question would be why the Delta 15? If you can't answer that question based on your results of software modeling its response and displacement limited output then you shouldn't be considering it at all. And if you were able to model its response and displacement limited output you wouldn't be asking about cab designs.
Before thinking about building your own cab you do need to have a very good undertsanding of what's contained at these two sources, and how to use design software:
http://www.eminence.com/support/understanding-loudspeaker-data/
http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?t=219617

Hi, you are getting good advice here. Bill designs speakers for a living and I used to design speakers. There's no disagreement between us because the maths/science points in one direction. The delta 15 isn't a great choice of speaker unless you want a very coloured sound. You may have chosen this because you've heard one and liked it or because you have some theory you want to chase. If you've chosen the delta on price or because of some sort of deal then we are telling you that there are better speakers out there.

If you want to go ahead then the 100l cab I suggested seemed a reasonable compromise in the few minutes I spent modelling this speaker. Any larger and it will become a monster you never want to move, much smaller than this and it will have a huge bass hump that swamps your sound and you will lose all your deep bass. As it stands this would peak at nearly an octave and a half above bottom E. In any case Bill is telling you that this speaker is excursion limited at low frequencies so that the speaker will start to distort at 50W and may have a short life expectancy.

I'm a great believer in getting on with building your own cab, you learn so much from it, not least your mistakes but if you want a reasonable result then it is good to listen to advice. You won't find good designs for this speaker because anyone who can design a speaker will know enough to choose something different. Speaker design is all in the maths and only the maths, you have to at least be able to drive the computer modelling programmes or understand the books/internet articles. if not then you might be better to use an existing design including using the drivers the designer has selected.

Tell us why you have chosen this speaker to use and we might be able to offer more help. At least we will know where you are coming from and what you are trying to achieve.

[quote name='frosty55' timestamp='1328357218' post='1525890']
I didnt choose the driver, I just found it up in the loft. I have a bass guitar and a 100W H&H amp, and I wouldnt mind gigging again. I just need a plan, with dimensions, of a suitable cab.
[/quote]In that case you'll find it on the Eminence site,

Ok if you want cheap and cheerful then make a cab of 100litres + a bit to allow for the volume of any bracing and the speaker and port, say 110 litres overall. Then put a port with the dimensions I suggested in. The dimensions are internal so don't forget to add on the thickness of the timber you use. Something like 50x73x30cm will do for the internal dimensions and you can make the port out of plastic soil pipe from a builders merchant.

Good luck