Why become a member? ×

Anybody used Seymore Duncan SPB-2s?

ead

Just contemplating upgrading some pups. I have a set of SPB-1s on a fretless and the SPB-3s may be a bit extreme for my liking so I was wondering about what appears to be the "middle" option...

fyi GAK have these up at £54 (same for the Quarter Pounders) although delivery date not certain - didn't enquire at this point.

My '77 came with SPB-2s fitted. I find they're pretty close to a 'stock' Fender tone, but they're hotter and have a fuller sound with more low end.

Unfortunately I haven't got my bass to hand else I'd post a video of them. I'll just say that I love them - even planning to sling some into a bitsa P I've got planned.

I've got them in my project bass which was originally a Squire now its 3 quarters Fender. The pickups were a good upgrade from the stock squire pickups and I would agree that they are good. I have experience with the quarter pounders and I think I prefer the SPB2s.

I had an SPB-2 in a Ryder for a bit, and although it had more character than the original (and a bit of a growl if I picked near the bridge) it sounded a bit woolly and indistinct in a band setting, and didn't carry well - lots of volume close to the cab, but quiet further away. My Jazz carries much better, even when set soft and deep, rather than sharp-edged. Might have been the bass, the amp or the player though.