Why become a member? ×

Unmatched Rig questions

KennysFord

My current cab line-up is a 4ohm Wawrick 410 pro and an 8ohm BFM Omni 10.
I've been using them as a pair for recent gigs as the Warwick is to dubby on it's own and the Omni is a not quite enough on its own. My amp goes down to 2ohm so no worries there.It's not an ideal situation as the Warwick is getting more juice and I'm having to push the amp to hear the Omni 10.
I'm playing tomorrow night and wondered if I should try a bi-amp jobbie. Use my Yamaha amp for the Warwick and my new GK MB200 for the omni10. I've got line out on both amps so is this do-able without a splitter and more importantly is it worth it. Also can I take the line-out from one amp and plug it into the front end of the other amp. I have a valve pre I can use if needs be.
I've zero funds for a new cab yet so will this be the best option.
Cheers in advance.
Other ideas will be gratefully received.

I`m not up on the technical stuff, but, if you`ve a Boss TU2 Tuner, you can plug into two amps at the same time. When you switch the tuner on, the amp connected to the top input then can`t be heard. it`s a cheap and easy way of doing this.

in dextermath (simplified for ease) you'll be getting twice as much power to the 4x10 as the 1x10 because of the impedance, but the 4x10 signal is split in 4 so you'll be getting half as much power to each speaker in the 4x10 as you will in the 1x10, so the 1x10 is taking a greater load and actually doing twice as much work as the 4x10. Not ideal.
It would be better for the life of your speakers with a bi-amp setup you suggest - but if this is just two amps at full range I'm not sure theres much point. Better to have the 4x10 dealing with the LF and the 1x10 adding some HF (as this doesn't require as much power). But as you don't have a preamp with a crossover this will be tricky to do and the results could be unexpected.
Can't you EQ some Mid and Top in to the 4x10 on your amp and use it alone? That would be the simplest setup...

You don't give the power ratings of anything so all we can do is guess!

The 4 ohm 410 is getting 2/3 of the power and the 8 ohm 210 is getting 1/3 of the power. I'll use a 600 watt amp as an example. In this case the 410 will get a max of 400 watts and the 210 gets a max of 200 watts. Therefore neither cab should be in any danger of damage.

I've no idea what this combination sounds like. Try it and see. If you don't like it just disconnect one of the cabs.