Why become a member? ×

Hartke A35 fault (although i guess it could be any amp)

DanOwens

So I've not used my A35 in a while (probably around 18 months) and I decided to practice with it today.

I turned it on and heard the quiet 'pop' sound that I've always heard.
I plucked my bass and the limiter light came on (its a hot bass). I thought I left my volume down but no, it was at around half.

I checked the speaker cable in the speaker out and gave it a wiggle. I heard a faint crackling sound.
I pulled out the speaker and checked the spade connectors. No problem.

I plugged in my headphones and heard a quiet hiss sound that did not change as I adjusted the EQ or volume control (single volume control on this amp).

As far as I can tell, the preamp isn't talking to the poweramp. The preamp registers my signal (limiter LED) and the speaker is receiving sound from somewhere (pop when engaged, faint hiss).

Any ideas? I'd like to fix it myself if I can.

Dan

Loop a patch cable from your FX Send to FXReturn & see if this changes anything. Sometimes the connections on the FXReturn gets dirty & cuts off the signal whether there's anything plugged in or not. A patch cable ought to complete the signal & tell you if the pre is ok. Usually spraying the jack with contact cleaner & inserting it 20 or 40 times will fix it.

Otherwise amp tech.......

G.