Why become a member? ×

Wait much longer and you'll get paid to take a Marshall 8x10!

Not sure how much cheaper these 8x10 cabs can get! :o

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marshall-MBC-Series-810-1200W-Bass-extension-cabinet-Collection-Only-/270909604469?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item3f13788275#ht_3044wt_1185"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marshall-MBC-Series-810-1200W-Bass-extension-cabinet-Collection-Only-/270909604469?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item3f13788275#ht_3044wt_1185[/url]

Nice!

What's it like size-wize with an Ampeg?

My big rig is in the kitchen at the moment. My missus has taken to putting the post on top of it.

No complaints this time though. She probably thinks it'll disappear after a gig on Saturday... but I'm getting used to it. Cup of tea and quick blast at rattling the double glazing whilst the kettle boils. I'm pretty sure I could bring the cupboards down off the walls if I tried hard enough :lol:

Yeah. Can't see it getting in the boot of a Polo like my Big One does...

Might we worth it to stash at the studio though if it could be converted to 8 or even 16[color=#282828][font=arial, sans-serif]Ω[/font][/color]. Save me lugging the Big One there and back. I always end up getting lazy and leaving it there, which is inconvenient when I want to make plates smash in the cupboards or when I have to retrieve the beast for gigs.

I'll have words... there's a big old 2x15 up there that hogs loads of room, but is 4[color=#282828][font=arial, sans-serif]Ω and[/font][/color]120W and I'm scared of it :o

Edited by bigjohn

[quote name='bigjohn' timestamp='1328658199' post='1530931']
Yeah. Can't see it getting in the boot of a Polo like my Big One does...

Might we worth it to stash at the studio though if it could be converted to 8 or even 16[color=#282828][font=arial, sans-serif]Ω[/font][/color]. Save me lugging the Big One there and back. I always end up getting lazy and leaving it there, which is inconvenient when I want to make plates smash in the cupboards or when I have to retrieve the beast for gigs.

I'll have words... there's a big old 2x15 up there that hogs loads of room, but is 4[color=#282828][font=arial, sans-serif]Ω and[/font][/color]120W and I'm scared of it :o
[/quote]

I got mine in my Corsa but it wasn't comfortable, I think it's perfect for your plan plus it'll re-enforce your decision to go lightweight.

One really good and underated feature on these is a handle on the bottom.

[quote name='bigjohn' timestamp='1328648804' post='1530748']
I'm supposing these could be rewired to be 8[size=4][font=arial, sans-serif]Ω[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Am I right?[/font][/size]
[/quote]
Ye canna change the laws of physics.

An 8x10 at 4 ohms will be 8 8 ohm speakers wired up so that there are in effect two sets of four speakers. Each set will be four speakers in parallel and the two sets will be in series (or the equivalent). It would be possible to wire them so you could get one ohm, 4 ohms, or 16 ohms, with each speaker equally loaded. You could wire it up to give you about 9.5 ohms (two sets of three in parallel, one set of two in parallel, all in series) but you'd be loading the speakers a bit unevenly.

[size=4][quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1328783920' post='1532503']
Ye canna change the laws of physics.

An 8x10 at 4 ohms will be 8 8 ohm speakers wired up so that there are in effect two sets of four speakers. Each set will be four speakers in parallel and the two sets will be in series (or the equivalent). It would be possible to wire them so you could get one ohm, 4 ohms, or 16 ohms, with each speaker equally loaded. You could wire it up to give you about 9.5 ohms (two sets of three in parallel, one set of two in parallel, all in series) but you'd be loading the speakers a bit unevenly.
[/quote]

Cool. I had no idea they'd be 8 8 Ohms having not ever thought about it before. But it makes sense.

I think 16 Ohm would be quite nice. Easy on my amp. Still ponderin'... a ruminatin', comtemplatin' and generally ditherin' and hestitatin' on taking the idea to it's logical conclusionin'[/size]

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1328658834' post='1530943']
Also let me know if you ever want to sell you B50
[/quote]

Will do mate. Not sure I ever will though. It's the only amp I've been allowed to keep in the living room :lol:

Edited by bigjohn

[quote name='bigjohn' timestamp='1328811289' post='1533108']
[size=4]I think 16 Ohm would be quite nice. Easy on my amp. Still ponderin'... a ruminatin', comtemplatin' and generally ditherin' and hestitatin' on taking the idea to it's logical conclusionin'[/size]
[/quote]
Get one of the Ashdown digital amps with a dual power amp (eg. the LG1000) and connect the speakers up as two 4x10 8ohm speakers, with separate speaker jacks.