Why become a member? ×

Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 or Saffire PRO 24 DSP

Me And My Bass

Both are excellent the Saffire Pro comes with great software but the Scarlett (which I currently use) is a very fine USB 2 interface and I did have an issue with the FireWire and hot plugging the Saffire - but that was a bit a one off the Saffire is a lovely bit of kit.

While I used to think USB 2.0 was a bit inferior to Firewire to be honest since switching I've not noticed any difference in the quality of the sound and it doesn't limit you to just relying on a Mac/PC that has a FireWire port - the sound quality from the Scarlett is stunning - I'm really happy with it and for the money is excellent value - I've found the Scarlett versatile and really up to the job.

Hope that helps

M

I'd add to the firewire vs usb point as follows.

Very very few boards out there (lappie of any kind inc Mac) these days use decent firewire interface boards. They are now very very hard to find (particularly on lappies).

USB is most definitely capable of transfering all the data required for 16 tracks of audio at a time.

It comes down to driver quality at that point, and RME make what are generally regarded as the best drivers in the industry. Thats not knocking the Focusrite stuff at all by the way, just a bit of info to store away in the back of your head).

Personally I'd go USB every time these days.

With any Audio interface /card, PC/Mac, W7/0SX/XP, 32 bit/64 bit etc comes into play regarding good drivers.
Also the DAW you use, some do not want to play nice at low latency settings. [What ever the manufacturer says]
Go to the DAW [you use] forum and check to see if that particular Interface has known problems or not.
USB or PCI/PCI expresss seem to be less problematic.
Some Firewire units have problems with certain chipsets.

Garry

Edited by lowdown