Why become a member? ×

Splitting TE 450 output between 2 cabs

solo4652

Folks,

My main rig is a TE Classic 450 (450 Watts, 4 ohms) into a Barefaced Compact (lots of Watts, 8 ohms). I use it for rehearsals and gigs. For added flexibility, I'm considering getting 2, 12" cabs, possibly the Eden EX112 (300Watts, 8 ohms). Trouble is, there is only 1 output on the head - a combined speakon/1/4" jack socket. So, some questions:

Is it possible to use a Y splitter speaker cable to connect two 12" cabs to the head?
Given that the cabs are 8 ohms (the Edens are available as 4 or 8 ohms), would that mean the head's delivering into a 4 ohm load (assuming that a Y splitter means that the cabs are wired in parrallel)?
Does this plan make any sense at all?
Where's the best place to buy a Y splitter speaker cable?

Please remember I'm not especially well clued-up on ohms, watts, load, etc.

All advice gratefully received,

Steve

First thing is to avoid using the jackplug option if at all possible.

Most cabs these days have two speakon sockets on the back and I can't find anything to say the the Eden EX112s are any different.

So, the easiest solution is to feed the output from the head into the first cab using a speakon to speakon lead.
Run another speakon to speakon lead from the extra socket on the back of that cab into a socket on the next cab and you're sorted. :)

The total load seen by the amp (if you are using two 8Ω cabs) will be 4Ω.

I don`t know if he does them but try OBBM on here:

[url="http://www.bassic-bits.co.uk/"]http://www.bassic-bits.co.uk/[/url]

The other thing is, the cabs have two neutrik speakon sockets on the back, and you can plug amp - cab - cab using these. I had the same amp, and connected two 8 ohm Ampeg cabs up in this way.

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1328819271' post='1533313']
First thing is to avoid using the jackplug option if at all possible.

Most cabs these days have two speakon sockets on the back and I can't find anything to say the the Eden EX112s are any different.

So, the easiest solution is to feed the output from the head into the first cab using a speakon to speakon lead.
Run another speakon to speakon lead from the extra socket on the back of that cab into a socket on the next cab and you're sorted. :)

The total load seen by the amp (if you are using two 8Ω cabs) will be 4Ω.
[/quote]

From what I've read about these cabs, all they have on the back is one 1/4" jack plug socket. Amazon review:

"I bought this cabinet for small acoustic gigs as well as home practice. It has the Eden sound in a very small package. It's great. A very nice balanced tone. I haven't had any issues with it's handling for my needs. My only complain is that it comes with a single 1/4" plug with no daisy chain option, nor does it come with speak on outputs."

Edited by solo4652

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1328832165' post='1533620']
From what I've read about these cabs, all they have on the back is one 1/4" jack plug socket. Amazon review:

"I bought this cabinet for small acoustic gigs as well as home practice. It has the Eden sound in a very small package. It's great. A very nice balanced tone. I haven't had any issues with it's handling for my needs. My only complain is that it comes with a single 1/4" plug with no daisy chain option, nor does it come with speak on outputs."
[/quote]

Could very well be.
I couldn't find anything to tell me one way or the other so just worked on the assumption that they'd have followed the same format that just about everyone else does.

If it's a single 1/4" jack then that's a pretty big oversight by Eden.
Even if they wanted to avoid using speakons, they could have added a second 1/4" jack socket less than £1 during the manufacturing process...

The link below is to Edens spec for the EX cabs. It states there are two speakons, and one 1/4 inch jack.

http://www.eden-electronics.com/info/manuals/pdf/2011/EX-SERIES%20Manual.pdf

To be safe though, why not e-mail Eden and ask them.

http://www.eden-electronics.com/info/contact/index.asp

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1328858747' post='1533690']
The link below is to Edens spec for the EX cabs. It states there are two speakons, and one 1/4 inch jack.

[url="http://www.eden-electronics.com/info/manuals/pdf/2011/EX-SERIES%20Manual.pdf"]http://www.eden-elec...ES%20Manual.pdf[/url]

To be safe though, why not e-mail Eden and ask them.

[url="http://www.eden-electronics.com/info/contact/index.asp"]http://www.eden-elec...ntact/index.asp[/url]
[/quote]

Confusing! I've sent them an email. Thanks Lozz.

Steve

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1328864149' post='1533751']
OP - just to clarify, do you mean [i]TC[/i] Classic 450?
[/quote]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]Ooops - yes, I meant TC Classic 450.

I've checked with Soundunlimited who sell the Edens. Their reply: "[color=#000000]I have just checked. The review is correct. There is only 1 1/4" jack on the back i'm afraid." [/color][/size]

[color=#000000]I've also checked with B/C's Ed S who has an EX112 and he says his only has the 1/4" jack.[/color][/font]

Edited by solo4652

I have a TC Classic 450 and a BF Compact. I have just added a BF Midget, which I used for the first time at rehearsal last night. And I am still smiling.

Physical connections are easy - daisy chain the speakers as both have 2 x speakon sockets. The Midget adds what the Compact lacks, and Compact adds what the Midget lacks, both together exceed the sum of the parts.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1328873333' post='1534019']
I have a TC Classic 450 and a BF Compact. I have just added a BF Midget, which I used for the first time at rehearsal last night. And I am still smiling.

Physical connections are easy - daisy chain the speakers as both have 2 x speakon sockets. The Midget adds what the Compact lacks, and Compact adds what the Midget lacks, both together exceed the sum of the parts.
[/quote]

Yes - this is another option. My Compact only has 1 speakon, however - hence the need for a Y splitter.

Yes, really annoying these days when cabs don't have dual Speakons. Even my (not cheap) Genz Benz NEOX-212T has only a single jack and a single Speakon. Granted, it's a 4 ohm cab, so not too many people would want to add a second cab, but that's not the point. Plus it has the crossover mounted on the rear of the sockets, so it's not even a simple drill & add second socket job to upgrade.

And, on the subject of cables, while there's nothing wrong with using 4mm cable, it really doesn't matter for a bass rig with such a short cable length. After all, what cables are used within the head to connect to the Speakon socket... Though the fact you've got cables like hosepipes may feel cool!

• 3 years later...

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1328872641' post='1533993']
So Edens infamous inability to have accurate info on their website continues.
[/quote]
Should be a fitting match for the TC head then? :yarr:

Ooôh, just noticed it's a resurrected thread! :D

Edited by xgsjx