Why become a member? ×

Different pin height for pizz and arco?

fatback

Maybe it's just me, but I'm finding the best height for pizz, the one that gives me the most comfortable and safest left wrist, is seriously uncomfortable for arco. I presume that's because I bend a bit for arco.

I was under the impression that the pin for arco is supposed to allow you bow more or less in the middle of the bridge-tail area without bending (much). is that right? Unfortunately, that's way too high for my liking.

Does anyone else find the comfort zone isn't the same, and if so do you compromise or what?

Edited by fatback

I have the nut at eyebrow height, but I'm guessing that arm length is going to be a hugely important factor in standing arco.

Part of trouble may be that i'm absolutely paranoid about straight left wrist having had bad rsi from keyboards for years, and unless a thing is comfortable I won't do it.

Edited by fatback

Like you, I'm paranoid about left wrist injury, but in my case it's due to carpal tunnel syndrome. I practice in front of a dress mirror so I can see any deviations from straight wristedness - maybe that's something you could try? You could also look for a tutor in Alexander Technique. Here's a link to check out: http://www.isatt.ie/findteacher.html

[quote name='geoffbassist' timestamp='1329169313' post='1538390']
I have the same hight for everything. I know people who have it lower for siting, but not for arco/ pizz.

I have the nut level with the middle of my forehead both sitting and standing.
[/quote]

I have it lower for sitting, but to achieve the same result - perhaps it depends on your stool height. (Or size when standing)

Billy Sheehan stiches his electric bass strap to a fixed length. He says whether sitting or standing, the instrument is in exatctly the same postion, so his reference points are always fixed. I try to apply this to upright - always the same left hand position/instrument angle/height etc. It really helps with intonation

I definitely have the wrist sorted out for pizz, Sarah. But if I keep the same height and drop the right shoulder for arco, the wrist angle changes, and that's what I don't like.

The Sheehan trick makes sense. I guess the equivelant would be to change the pin height so arco involves no bending. I've only had one lesson (for distance reasons) and my teacher had me set the bass quite a bit higher than I have it now, but that was for arco only.

I think I need different arms. Who does cheap ones?