Why become a member? ×

Delano Hybrid

rapscallion

Got one in my Shuker. They're very nice. The MM active tone is great. Perhaps a bit smoother sounding than my Stingray, but still a great fat aggressive tone.

And as a single coil its a classic Jazz tone.

Jon Shuker uses them on a lot of his basses, and I think some of the Sandbergs have them fitted (on the MM/J models).

I too have the hybrid system in one of my 5 string Shukers. No question it's a good system and very flexible which is why I chose it. I have it paired with Jon's series three preamp and the combination is capable of going from dark and thunderous to bright and sparkly with most stuff in between. There's a kind of P bass tone doable, but that not really what the system's aimed at achieving.

The MM is great - love it. As Simon says fat and funky but maybe a bit politer than a true 'Ray. That suits me.

The jazz is OK but it doesn't really cut it for me - I can't really get the tone I wanted, but that is a truly subjective statement.

I have the alnico single coil at the neck and I do find it noisy particulaly when you blend in the J with the Ray so the top single coil is working alone. I guess it depends on your noise tolerance, but I like dead silent, which I don't get that way. That said my preferred sound is the MM with a bit of J blended in. I just make sure I'm away from any source of noise - which is not easy live. Studio more so (although it hates the fluorescent lights in my friend's studio so I have to play in the dark!).

Definitely pickups of the highest quality and extremely versatile, but love them for their own merits, and not as a substitute for a pure MM or Jazz.

I do have a ton of stuff recorded with it. I'm mad busy at work at the moment but I'll try and dig some examples up.

P

[quote name='Pete1967' timestamp='1329222965' post='1538966']

The jazz is OK but it doesn't really cut it for me - I can't really get the tone I wanted, but that is a truly subjective statement.

I have the alnico single coil at the neck and I do find it noisy particulaly when you blend in the J with the Ray so the top single coil is working alone. I guess it depends on your noise tolerance, but I like dead silent, which I don't get that way. [/quote]

That's interesting - I've got the Delano split coil Jazz at the neck position (Delano's take on the DiMarzio ultra jazz, I think), and that works really well. A bit fatter than a traditional Jazz.

But to be honest, I tend to use the MM pickup solo'd most of the time.

Dood - I'm in France at the moment so can't post any sound clips. I'll have to leave Pete to do that!

[quote name='simon1964' timestamp='1329223588' post='1538980']
That's interesting - I've got the Delano split coil Jazz at the neck position (Delano's take on the DiMarzio ultra jazz, I think), and that works really well. A bit fatter than a traditional Jazz.
[/quote]

Also interesting Simon - that's more the sound I was after, but it's given me an excuse to order another monster form Jon :D

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1329223153' post='1538968']
Aaa Cheers Pete! Thank you for the info'! Look forward to hearing clips!
[/quote]

Dood - I'm informed that my evening is accounted for tonight :blink: and I'm off to High Wycombe tomorrow morning till the end of the week, so it'll be the weekend.

P

[quote name='rapscallion' timestamp='1329297132' post='1540083'] Thanks guys, some promising comments there. I was thinking of ripping out the MECs in my doublebuck and having two, is that overkill? [/quote]

i would stick in a new preamp with the MEC pups first....

[quote name='rapscallion' timestamp='1329297132' post='1540083']
Thanks guys, some promising comments there. I was thinking of ripping out the MECs in my doublebuck and having two, is that overkill?
[/quote]
I'd double check with Delano if it's technically possible to do. The wiring's a bit proprietary and unconventional so you'd need to be sure if that config would be possible and/or compatible with exisiting electronics. Also check dimensions...

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1329319733' post='1540585']
i would stick in a new preamp with the MEC pups first....
[/quote]
defo an easier and cheaper option!

So glad that this topic is here because I was just about to post one myself! Going through the process of ordering a bass through Jon Shuker and I have included a MM pickup (active/passive) in build specs. Don't know whether to stick to what I know (Barts) or take the dive and go for Delano for a change.

Quite interested to read that the Delano MM has a warmer tone. I like a nice growly finger tone, but with clarity and attack. These pickups seem like they will tick that box. The only other thing I am interested to know is if anyone is using a Delano MM pickup with various preamps such as Aguilar, Bartolini, EMG, Seymour Duncan...etc. I am not familiar with Jon's own preamp and how it compares to other popular brands.

• 1 year later...