Why become a member? ×

york

bobbytodd

Mormusic on Walmgate - nice chaps, I was busy getting lashed at the York Press Business Awards... good business, and looks to have a good few guitars in the windows.

Banks is on Lendal, next to where Jamie Oliver is opening his new restaurant. They won't have more from than a dozen basses in - mainly Ibanez, Fender and Epiphone.

Gear4Music are just out of town; Red Cow Music are in the centre, on Goodramgate.

Harrogate has a few down the road, RockSteady, etc.

I'll even let you buy me a pint :lol:

Edited by Gust0o

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1329258233' post='1539841']
Banks is on Lendal, next to where Jamie Oliver is opening his new restaurant. They won't have more from than a dozen basses in - mainly Ibanez, Fender and Epiphone.
[/quote]

Correct. At Banks we currently have the following;
Fender - Marcus Miller Jazz, Mex Jazz, Mex Precision.
Ibanez - SR1200
Hofner bass and a couple of acoustic basses.
Couple of Squiers/budget Yamahas/Ibanez. I'm hoping when I'm not the 'new guy' I can start to try and get a better selection introduced!

We do have a good range of Martin and Taylor acoustics. Also have a Gibson hummingbird, J200 and J45 and about 40 Gibson electrics and a collection of Fender guitars.

If you just fancy a chat with a fellow basschatter, drop by :)
Edit: Whilst my sentiment is genuine, I'm not in on Friday so won't be around to say hello :s

Edited by skej21

MOR Music moved to bigger premises recently and they've got quite a big floor space now for an independent guitar shop. Typically though they don't have a lot of basses in, they do have the new budget Overwaters though. Red Cow on Goodramgate is mostly folky instruments, they have a few basses but typical budget stuff. There's also Bulmers at the end of Goodramgate under Monk Bar which is a second-hand shop but they have a room full of guitars in the back. Again usually cheap stuff.

I wouldn't bother going out of town to Gear4Music.

Should also point out that PeteAcademy's band Nearly Dan are playing the Duchess on Stonebow on Saturday night. Tickets are £12.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1329259065' post='1539859']
If you just fancy a chat with a fellow basschatter, drop by :)
Edit: Whilst my sentiment is genuine, I'm not in on Friday so won't be around to say hello :s
[/quote]

This means that, unbeknownst to the two of us, we have inadvertently met at some point! It's a small world, and all that.

I only knew Gear4Music was out of town via a mate; never tried it offline.

Spied Nearly Dan on the Duchess list - gutted, as am making my way to Southampton that night :(

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1329298803' post='1540110']
This means that, unbeknownst to the two of us, we have inadvertently met at some point! It's a small world, and all that.
[/quote]

I've only been working there since mid-December, so maybe not. If not, hopefully bump into you soon!

I once found a pristine DeArmond Starfire bass in a junk shop in York. Wish I still had it.
The shop was just outsied the city wall somewhere, not sure exactly where but there is a building opposite with a large painted advert on the side for 'bile beans', whatever the devil they are.
That's probably no help to the OP at all, but it just goes to show what you can stumble across if you keep your eyes peeled!

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1329322227' post='1540650']
I once found a pristine DeArmond Starfire bass in a junk shop in York. Wish I still had it.
The shop was just outsied the city wall somewhere, not sure exactly where but there is a building opposite with a large painted advert on the side for 'bile beans', whatever the devil they are.
That's probably no help to the OP at all, but it just goes to show what you can stumble across if you keep your eyes peeled!
[/quote]

That'd be the pawn shop opposite Keystones, with the sign being on Lord Mayor's Walk. I drive past it on my way to rehearsal :)

[quote name='bobbytodd' timestamp='1329254523' post='1539763']
on friday i will be going down to york for a few days with my wife and daughter they have a days shopping planned but im going to sneek off for a wonder so are there any decent music shops in york?

cheers

rob
[/quote]

The Duchess on Saturday night then, Rob ;)

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1329322227' post='1540650']
[/quote]

That's Bulmers. I've never found anything decent in there so well done you! :D