Why become a member? ×

Pee'd off with Neutriks Jack Plugs - Looks likely it's a cheap copy though!!

KiOgon

Had a bit of a sort out yesterday, including a little use pedal box & found some Neutriks jacks in a sorry state - pics:

Bought for making up patch leads - I thought they were a reasonable quality bit of kit but now I'm not so sure. They've never left the house, not got wet or been bathed in splashes of beer or any other liquid. The plating is badly pitted & corroded, not fit for use - they're probably not even 2 years old - fit for the scrap bin!

Now searching for some good quality r/a & straight jack plugs - any recommendations?

Cheerz, John

Edited by KiOgon

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1329493142' post='1543351']
Bought for making up patch leads - I thought they were a reasonable quality bit of kit but now I'm not so sure. They've never left the house, not got wet or been bathed in splashes of beer or any other liquid. The plating is badly pitted & corroded, not fit for use - they're probably not even 2 years old - fit for the scrap bin!
[/quote]
I've never seen a genuine Neutrik do that even when stored in 'less than ideal' conditions. Hmmm..

I used to work for a company that sold Neutrik. They are from the REAN range, which is like Squire to a Fender - Neutriks budget/entry level range:

http://www2.neutrik.com/re/en/audio/210_1944774003/NYS207_detail.aspx

The full spec Neutrik right angles look like this:

http://www2.neutrik.com/uk/en/audio/210_t2_3588585/NP2RX_detail.aspx

Your straight plug you have is a Neutrik not a REAN. There LOTS of fakes of the REAN range as they effectively are a cheap chinese version of the expensive stuff. If I recall (I may be wrong) the real ones are stamped inside with the REAN logo and are very clean in the edges (no sharp bits etc). We used to sell an identical cheap version of the REAN connector you have there too and I struggled to tell them apart. The REAN one was about £2.10 and the chinese one was about 75p. My money is that that is not a REAN connector. Due to the amount of fakes, that particular style has been discontinued as far as I'm aware and the REAn range is not introducing an alternative.

I've been using using Neutrik plugs on audio cables for instrument to amp etc (I use George L's on my board) and have gigged the hell out of the same 3 cables - the plugs all still look like the day I bought them.

Cheerz for that, I've checked all my Amp - Cab & Cab - Cab leads, they are all indeed the NP2RX - thankfully no sign of any problems there!

I've been searching through my spare bits & found another of the REAN NYS207 still sealed in it's bag from new. The writing on the bag says REAN a brand of Neutrik AG, as you say above though - there is no REAN stamp on the inside of the housing, the edges seem OK but it looks suspiciously like a batch of cheap copies I must've got somewhere along the way :( [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/kjon51/170220121236.jpg[/IMG]

Packet looks correct. I can't see in that pic, but on the silver/grey section of the packet should be the items code (NYS207 etc etc) stamped in black. We're they all sealed in packets like that it did you buy some as just plugs? Copy versions I've seen came in a clear little zip lock bag instead).

Shep

Yes these were bought as seperate plugs & as far as I remember all came individually bagged & sealed as pictured, yes the NYS207 is printed on the silver part of the bag.
I bought the N2RX plugs for my amp & cab leads but tried the cheaper Reans for pedalboard/patch leads.

Cheerz, John

I've never seen a fake that came sealed in what looks like an official REAN bag so I'd likely go with a real bad batch. Maybe whatever is applied to the plugs during the manufacturing finishing process was not applied, causing the plug to tarnish. Maybe some liquid or cleaner touched it when you have wiped pedals down in the past that just doesn't agree with the compound of the metal? Who knows.

Have you ever used any switch cleaner in the pots or sockets of any of the pedals the plug has ever been in?

Stick to proper Neutrik! Or George L's for patch cable! :)

Cheerz Wrinkley, there's a Maplin about 10 miles down the road from me, not worth the petrol for a few jacks though!
I've just ordered some of the Neutrik NP2RX-B, fancied the black body for a change, definitely not the cheap range :huh: .

Had a look at Maplins online - JHC I ain't payin their prices!!!!!!

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1329561284' post='1544201']
I've never seen a fake that came sealed in what looks like an official REAN bag so I'd likely go with a real bad batch. Maybe whatever is applied to the plugs during the manufacturing finishing process was not applied, causing the plug to tarnish. Maybe some liquid or cleaner touched it when you have wiped pedals down in the past that just doesn't agree with the compound of the metal? Who knows.

Have you ever used any switch cleaner in the pots or sockets of any of the pedals the plug has ever been in?

Stick to proper Neutrik! Or George L's for patch cable! :)
[/quote]

Sorry Shep, missed that post, no chemicals or cleaners have been used near them, they're lucky if they get a suck from the dyson once or twice a decade :)